News24

Baby Bafana coach upset

2012-03-01 16:14

Johannesburg - The South African under-20 men's national team (Amajita) is resuming its training camp despite the withdrawal of Botswana from two international friendly matches, which were due to take place on Wednesday and Sunday.

The two matches were intended to help head coach Solly Luvhengo put together a strong under-20 men's national team to represent South Africa in the upcoming African Youth Championship qualifiers.

Luvhengo expressed his disappointment at the cancellation of the matches and said he would have liked to use the FIFA dates to put his squad to the test.

"It's a let down for me as well as the team that Botswana withdrew from both friendly matches," Luvhengo said.

"We need strong friendly matches to help build the team and rectify any tactical areas where we may be lacking."

The squad had already played two practice matches.

In the first practice-training match on Monday, Amajita beat Vodacom League team, Shining Stars 2-1.

The team then beat National First Division club, Atlie FC, at the Sinaba Stadium on Wednesday by the same scoreline.

Luvhengo is proud of the achievement of his charges during the practice matches although he feels stronger opponents would have done justice to the squad's training schedule.

"We won twice against some quality opponents but I would have wanted stronger opposition," he said.

"It was a good training exercise, I appreciate that Atlie could accommodate us during our training camp but as I said I would have liked to take advantage of the FIFA date to test the team in international competition."

SAPA