Rugby

SA Rugby rocked by double doping failure

2016-07-20 08:17
(File, Gallo Images)
Pretoria - South African rugby was rocked on Tuesday with the confirmation that two players had tested positive during routine testing for using banned substances.

READ: SAIDS: Rugby worst doping violators in 2014

SA Rugby confirmed to supersport.com that they had been informed by the South African Institute for Drug Free Sport (SAIDS) that two players from two separate rugby unions had tested positive during recent testing that took place in local conditions and that the process for a hearing for these players would now follow its course.

SARU would not name the players, and said the normal protocol was to protect the players identities with the matter being referred back to SAIDS.

SAIDS Chief Executive Khalid Galant confirmed the same to supersport.com and said that the players had been informed of the positive test through their unions.

Players could ask for a B-sample to be tested, but this was not a mandatory next step in cases like these.

“In some cases players accept the findings and do not contest them, so as to have their suspension begin as soon as possible,” Galant told supersport.com

The players, whose names are known to supersport.com, will now need to respond to the findings and decide whether or not they will contest them.

If they are found guilty, they face bans between two and four years, depending on the outcome of their disciplinary hearings.

Read the story on SuperSport.com

Read more on:    saru  |  rugby
NEXT ON SPORT24X

What To Read Next

 

Read News24’s Comments Policy

Live Video Streaming
Video Highlights
Sport Talk

 
 
Men
Women
Love 2 Meet
Sport24 on Twitter

Follow Sport24 news on Twitter

Featured

The 2017/18 Absa Premiership season is under way. Can Bidvest Wits defend their title? Will Soweto giants Kaizer Chiefs or Orlando Pirates emerge victorious? Or will the bookies' favourites, Mamelodi Sundowns, taste success for a record eighth time? Stay glued to Sport24 to find out!

Latest blogs
Vote

Springbok coach Allister Coetzee remains defiant, saying he won't resign despite a shambolic two years at the helm. Your thoughts?

Twitter Follow Sport24 on Twitter

Facebook "Like" Sport24's Facebook page

WIN Enter and win with Sport24!

BlackBerry Stay in the loop on your BlackBerry

RSS Feeds Sport news delivered really simply.

 
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.