Rugby

SA's 2023 RWC hosting hopes boosted as Italy withdraw

2016-09-28 20:18

Rome - The Italian Rugby Federation has withdrawn its bid to host the 2023 World Cup.

The federation says the decision was based on the expected withdrawal of Rome's bid to host the 2024 Olympics.

Federation president Alfredo Gavazzi says, "Our candidature has always been strictly connected to the Olympic Games bid for Rome 2024 and, as agreed with the government and the Olympic committee, we are unable to provide necessary commitments for us to move forward."

Italy's withdrawal leaves France, Ireland and South Africa in the running for the tournament. The host country will be selected in November, 2017.

Rome's city council is expected to vote down its Olympic bid on Thursday following Mayor Virginia Raggi's rejection of the candidacy last week.

Read more on:    rugby
NEXT ON SPORT24X

What To Read Next

 

Read News24’s Comments Policy

Live Video Streaming
Sport Talk

 
 
Men
Women
Love 2 Meet
Sport24 on Twitter

Follow Sport24 news on Twitter

English Premiership flutter

Take Sport24's "expert" tips at your peril...

Featured

The 2017/18 Absa Premiership season is under way. Can Bidvest Wits defend their title? Will Soweto giants Kaizer Chiefs or Orlando Pirates emerge victorious? Or will the bookies' favourites, Mamelodi Sundowns, taste success for a record eighth time? Stay glued to Sport24 to find out!

Latest blogs
Vote

Springbok coach Allister Coetzee remains defiant, saying he won't resign despite a shambolic two years at the helm. Your thoughts?

Twitter Follow Sport24 on Twitter

Facebook "Like" Sport24's Facebook page

WIN Enter and win with Sport24!

BlackBerry Stay in the loop on your BlackBerry

RSS Feeds Sport news delivered really simply.

 
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.