Rugby

Marler rules himself out of Australia tour

2016-05-18 19:47
Joe Marler (Getty Images)

London - England forward Joe Marler has made himself unavailable for his country's forthcoming three-Test tour of Australia at the end of a controversial campaign.

Marler was set to be selected in Eddie Jones' tour squad despite a difficult season, but on Wednesday it was revealed he has instead decided to take the opportunity to rest ahead of next season.

The 25-year-old was slapped with a two-week ban for kicking a Grenoble player while playing for his English Premiership club Harlequins in the European Challenge Cup last month.

The incident occurred during Marler's comeback appearance after World Rugby imposed a two-game ban and fined him £20,000 pounds for calling Welsh forward Samson Lee "gypsy boy" in a Six Nations international in March.

Instead of rehabilitating his reputation with England,Marler, who has 42 caps, has opted to take a short break from the game and will miss an international against Wales and the subsequent tour to Australia.

"It has been a very enjoyable but sometimes difficult season," Marler said in a statement released by the English Rugby Football Union.

"After speaking to Eddie in Brighton I have decided that the best thing for me is to take a rest and not go to Australia.

"Whenever you play for England you have to be 100 percent and unfortunately I'm not in that place at the moment.

"It's not a decision I've come to lightly, but I feel I would be letting my teammates and my country down if I were to tour.

"I think a short rest will really help me recharge my batteries so I can start next season with the energy and focus that's needed to perform at the highest level.

"I wish my team mates the very best in Australia in what is a hugely exciting and challenging series for England."

Marler recently admitted he is seeking help from a sports psychologist to "get a grip" of his behaviour and Jones was supportive of the prop's decision to take a step back from the international stage.

"Joe played brilliantly during the RBS 6 Nations and he will be a big loss in Australia," Jones said.

"Joe knows better than anyone what it takes to be part of a winning international team and he obviously doesn't feel like he's quite there at the moment. We fully support Joe's difficult decision and admire his honesty.

"He's a young man with a very bright future. There's no doubt in my mind he'll use this time wisely and come back feeling refreshed and ready to be part of England again."

Read more on:    england  |  rugby
NEXT ON SPORT24X

What To Read Next

 

Read News24’s Comments Policy

Live Video Streaming
Sport Talk

 
 
Men
Women
Love 2 Meet
English Premiership flutter

Take Sport24's "expert" tips at your peril...

Sport24 on Twitter

Follow Sport24 news on Twitter

Featured

The 2017/18 Absa Premiership season is under way. Can Bidvest Wits defend their title? Will Soweto giants Kaizer Chiefs or Orlando Pirates emerge victorious? Or will the bookies' favourites, Mamelodi Sundowns, taste success for a record eighth time? Stay glued to Sport24 to find out!

Latest blogs
Vote

Springbok coach Allister Coetzee remains defiant, saying he won't resign despite a shambolic two years at the helm. Your thoughts?

Twitter Follow Sport24 on Twitter

Facebook "Like" Sport24's Facebook page

WIN Enter and win with Sport24!

BlackBerry Stay in the loop on your BlackBerry

RSS Feeds Sport news delivered really simply.

 
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.