Injuries overshadow Wales win

2015-09-05 21:33
Leigh Halfpenny leaves the field on a stretcher (AP)

Cardiff - Wales suffered a major double injury blow as Leigh Halfpenny and Rhys Webb were both carried off on stretchers in an unconvincing 23-19 win against Italy in a World Cup warm-up on Saturday.

Webb suffered a suspected broken ankle in the first half after falling awkwardly at a ruck. And as if the sight of his first-choice scrum-half leaving the field was not bad enough, Wales coach Warren Gatland then saw British Lions star Halfpenny follow.

Halfpenny's right knee, already heavily strapped, gave way as he moved to collect a kick 12 minutes from time.

Gatland and Wales now face an anxious wait for news on two of their star players, having already lost centre Jonathan Davies to a knee injury at the start of the summer.

But the early signs at the Millennium Stadium were not encouraging just a fortnight before the World Cup kicks off.

The injuries compounded a frustrating game for Wales who trailed 11-8 at half-time.

Wales failed to build on the confidence gained from victory over Ireland in Dublin seven days earlier and were behind inside just two minutes.

Italy captain Sergio Parisse, back for the first time in the warm-up games, picked off Alex Cuthbert's pass intended for Taulupe Faletau as Wales threatened to score.

Parisse galloped 70m up-field before he was finally hauled down just short of the try line by Scott Williams. However, Italy were quickly in support and wing Leonardo Sarto surged through Cuthbert on the line to score from close range.

Tommaso Allan missed with the conversion but slotted a penalty to hand Italy a surprise ten-point lead after as many minutes in Cardiff.

Wales's response was swift and emphatic with man of the match Scott Williams the architect.

Twice the centre was involved, first when he beat opposite number Gonzalo Garcia to start the move. Sam Warburton, Jake Ball and Ken Owens all followed before Williams fired a pass out wide to hand George North an easy finish on 13 minutes, his 23rd in Test rugby.

Halfpenny missed the conversion but kicked a penalty that was soon cancelled out by Allan's second effort, before half-time.

Wales, under-pressure at the set-piece for much of the first half, began the second period in far brighter fashion.

Halfpenny kicked two penalties after the break to hand Wales the lead for the first time on 62 minutes, but Faletau again failed to collect the re-start and Carlo Canna's drop goal levelled the scores again.

A further two Halfpenny penalties saw Wales lead 20-14 following an immediate impact off the bench by Ross Moriarty only for Welsh fortunes to be struck once again.

Halfpenny, who passed 500 points for Wales in the game, was left punching the ground in frustration as he waited to be carried off the pitch as a stunned 52 000 fans watched on in horror.

Dan Biggar took over the kicking duties and landed a penalty five minutes from time.

But having opened the scoring, Italy also had the last say when replacement Guglielmo Palazzani barged through Matthew Morgan on the line to score.

The conversion sailed wide and Wales were winners, but it hardly felt like a victory given the potential loss of two key players.

Read News24’s Comments Policy publishes all comments posted on articles provided that they adhere to our Comments Policy. Should you wish to report a comment for editorial review, please do so by clicking the 'Report Comment' button to the right of each comment.

Comment on this story
Comments have been closed for this article.
Most Read

Opinion Poll

The Springboks' best player at the 2019 Rugby World Cup was:

There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.