Clinical UCT take the spoils

2011-02-14 21:11

Johannesburg - The University of Cape Town (UCT) showed the value of clinical finishing when they recorded a convincing 36-8 victory over Pukke in Potchefstroom on Monday night.

In a funny old match, UCT were overwhelmed for five minutes, then went on the rampage and when their bonus point was secure, proceeded to go to sleep for the last 33 minutes.

It was UCT's second match on the road and their second big win. They beat Shimlas 26-10 in Bloemfontein last Monday.

Before the match Rudy Joubert, whose side was beaten by Maties last week, said that he wanted 80 minutes of 'footy' from his players. He got five - well, five and a bit - an inconsequential bit.

Pukke started off as is if they meant business, taking the game to the hesitant Ikeys. Inside the first minute the Ikeys were ahead of the kicker, and failed to play to the whistle and were penalised, scrumhalf Johann Laker added the points.

Then inside his own half, flyhalf Johnny Welthagen burst between two forwards on his own 10-metre line, sped down the field and gave to George Tossel who passed the ball to Willem Barnard, who raced over in the corner. The score 8-0 within five minutes.

In the next 75 minutes Pukke failed to trouble the scoreboard.

The Ikeys grew in confidence and soon dominated the game, winning numerous turnovers and gave lessons in passing that was elegant at times, sleight of hand at others.

It started when Tiger Bax broke from his own 22 and gave to Therlow Pietersen who gave back to Bax. Ikeys would surely have scored had Paul Cohen not juggled. It was as if, in that brilliant moment, the Ikeys had put the Pukke to bed and went about winning in the most entertaining way.

Pietersen broke clean through in his own half. He was stopped in the Pukke 22 and the ball went left where Adrian Kritzinger hurried the ball along to Bax in a perfect pass for him to score.

Kritzinger was hurt in the pass by a spiteful late tackle but it did not stop him repeating the movement doing it again. It was his pass five minutes later that sent Pietersen in for a try which Demetri Catrakilis converted from far out and UCT led 12-8 after 31 minutes. 16 minutes later they had their bonus point.

Just before half-time flank Nizaam Carr stepped and ran 40 metres to score at the posts, UCT led 19-8.

By now the Pukke were in disarray, the Ikeys doing everything with enthusiasm. They could have scored right at the start of the second half but knocked on instead.

Carr won a turnover on the halfway line and the Ikeys went left for Cohen to race over in the left corner; that made it 24-8 and gave them a bonus point for four tries.

They should have scored soon afterwards but Ricky knocked on with the goalline begging. But the Ikeys now seemed no longer to want to score tries. Their next four scores were penalty gaols by Catrakilis, the last when time was already up at the end of the match.

The scorers: Pukke: Try: Barnard. Pen: Laker UCT: Tries: Bax, Pietersen, Carr, Cohen. Cons: Catrakilis 2. Pens: Catrakilis 4


FNB Pukke:
15 Willem Barnard, 14 Andrew van Wyk, 13 Kempie Rautenbach, 12 George Tossel, 11 Johannes Seerane, 10 John Welthagen, 9 Johann Laker, 8 Cornell du Preez, 7 Thabo Mamojele, 6 Savvas Nel, 5 Victor Kruger, 4 Ligtoring Landman (captain), 3 Marthinus Dreyer, 2 Christiaan Schoonraad, 1 Henri Scharneck.
Replacements: 16 Johan Oberholzer, 17 Dewald Coetzee, 18 Jacobus van Zyl, 19 Johannes Pretorius, 20 Tiaan Dorfling, 21 Cecil Dumond, 22 Tershwin Raubenheimer, 23 Mashudu Mafela.

FNB UCT: 15 Therlow Pietersen, 14 Pete Haw, 13 Tiger Bax, 12 Adrian Kritzinger, 11 Paul Cohen, 10 Demetri Catrakilis, 9 Nicholas Farrar, 8 Greg Mallett, 7 Nick Fenton-Wells (captain), 6 Nizaam Carr, 5 Levi Odendaal, 4 Eben Etzebeth, 3 Shane Meier, 2 Matt Page, 1 Wes Chetty.
Replacements: 16 Dayne Jans, 17 Francois van Wyk, 18 Brad Bosman, 19 Zandy Macdonald, 20 Scotty Watermeyer, 21 Sikokele Blom, 22 Sabelo Siyakatshana, 23 Niel Naude.

Referee: Ben Crouse