Rugby

Thomas retires because of epilepsy

2015-09-15 12:26
Rugby ball (File)

Cardiff - Wales international forward Jonathan Thomas has called time on his career at the age of 32 because of epilepsy, his club Worcester announced on Tuesday.

Thomas was diagnosed with epilepsy last year "which is thought to be from multiple head traumas and has led to a degree of brain injury," the club said in a statement.

Thomas, who won 67 Wales caps between 2003 and 2011 and played in two World Cups, has now stepped down on medical advice.

He also featured in two Six Nations Grand Slam campaigns with Wales and spent 10 years with the Ospreys before moving to Worcester in 2013.

Worcester high performance director Nick Johnston said: "We've sought the best medical opinion in the country in order to try and enable Jonathan to prolong his career.

"But unfortunately, on the advice of consultants, he has been advised to retire from professional rugby."

News of his retirement comes as the World Cup prepares to kick off in England later this week, with the debate concerning head impacts and concussion dominating rugby union's agenda in recent months.

Read more on:    rugby

 

Read News24’s Comments Policy

 
 
Men
Women
Love 2 Meet
Sport24 on Twitter

Follow Sport24 news on Twitter

Featured

The 2018/19 Absa Premiership season is in full swing. Will Mamelodi Sundowns retain their title? Or can one of Kaizer Chiefs, Orlando Pirates, Wits, SuperSport United - or another team perhaps - snatch glory from the Brazilians? Be sure to visit Sport24 for all the latest news!

Latest blogs
Vote

The Springboks' best player at the 2019 Rugby World Cup was:

Twitter Follow Sport24 on Twitter

Facebook "Like" Sport24's Facebook page

WIN Enter and win with Sport24!

BlackBerry Stay in the loop on your BlackBerry

RSS Feeds Sport news delivered really simply.

 
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.