SARU: No 'rescue-plan' for Kings
Cape Town - SARU president Oregan Hoskins said after Friday's Special General Council meeting (SGCM) and Annual General Meeting (AGM) that the financial problems plaguing the Kings had not been discussed.
"We didn't get onto EP today. There are so many issues that we wanted to discuss but you only have so many hours in a day," Hoskins said then when asked directly about a "rescue plan" for the embattled union.
"We have a four-man committee that's been dedicated to EP and I think there has been a lot of progress made."
What that means exactly is unclear, but the union is facing liquidation if it does not resolve what is reported to be around R18 million of debt and unpaid salaries by May 10.
It had been reported in the build-up to the SGCM and AGM that a "rescue plan" had been drawn up by SARU vice-president Mark Alexander that was to be tabled at the meeting, where EP president Cheeky Watson and the other union presidents were in attendance.
But SARU on Tuesday confirmed to Sport24 that there was no such rescue plan.
"Reports of a ‘bail-out’ by SA Rugby are entirely inaccurate," said an SA Rugby spokesman.
"The Executive Council has, however, appointed one of its members (Monde Tabata) to liaise with the local union over the short term to discuss ways and means to ensure rugby continues despite the liquidation application."
On Sunday, Afrikaans newspaper Rapport revealed that the Kings would be playing in this year's Currie Cup as an amateur side and that their players would not be paid.