Caleb Timu inks new Reds deal
Cape Town - The Reds have announced that rampaging Wallaby loose forward
Caleb Timu has re-committed to the union for the 2019 season.
The 24-year-old emerged as a genuine attacking threat during
last year’s National Rugby Championship-winning campaign with Bond University
Queensland Country, where he was named player of the tournament.
He carried that form into the 2018 Super Rugby season and
was recognised as one of the Reds’ best forwards.
His contributions at the Reds earned him a Wallabies call up
in June and he made his Test debut against Ireland, featuring in the first two
matches of the series.
“I’m feeling at home at Ballymore. It is a great place to
develop as a Rugby player,” said Timu.
“I feel like I’ve grown as a player in the last 12 months
and I really want to continue to learn and contribute to the team.
“I’m looking forward to the NRC season, it’s a great
opportunity to play footy and work on your game. It will be a good chance to
continue to learn and improve and hopefully I can carry that form into the next
Super Rugby season with the Reds.”
Timu joined the Reds from the Brisbane Broncos midway
through 2016, but a serious knee injury meant 2018 was his first full season of
Super Rugby, making his Wallabies debut all the more impressive.
Reds head coach Brad Thorn was full of praise for Timu and
said his best is still ahead of him.
“It’s great to see Caleb commit for another season. He
really came into his own during last year’s NRC and backed it up with a strong
season for the Reds.
“Probably the most pleasing thing about Caleb is he hasn’t
yet reached his full potential. We’ve seen glimpses of what he is capable of,
but he definitely has a lot more to offer the Reds and the Wallabies. He’s a
great man who works hard to better himself as a player and a person.”
Timu has been named in Queensland Country’s squad for the
upcoming National Rugby Championship season, which kicks off with an away match
against Canberra Vikings on Saturday 1 September.