Billionaire calls for ARU chief to resign over Force

    2017-09-03 22:04

    Sydney - Billionaire Andrew Forrest called on Australian Rugby Union (ARU) chairperson Cameron Clyne to resign on Wednesday over what he described as an unjust decision to axe the Western Force from Super Rugby.

    Flanked by Force players at a news conference in Perth, the Western Australian mining magnate rejected the ARU's assertion that his offer to invest up to A$50 million in rugby had come "too late" to save the franchise.

    "It is not too late ... I know what 11th hour looks like and I certainly know what bullies look like," he said.

    "I'm saying this is not too late. This wonderful team behind me, the supporters in this state and everyone who believes in a fair go in Australia says it’s not too late."

    Rugby Western Australia have appealed the decision at the Supreme Court of New South Wales, which is expected to hand down a ruling next week.

    The ARU made a commitment in April to reduce Australia's five Super Rugby teams to four for next season and said they had settled on the Force over the Melbourne Rebels after an "exhaustive analysis".

    Forrest said he had seen documents indicating the ARU had been advised back in February that the Force alone presented no legal risk to axe, advice he thought indicated the ensuing process had been a charade.

    "Had I known that the injustice of the decision to cut the Western Force was made in February, then I would have stepped in then," Forrest said.

    "I do not blame Bill Pulver, who I respect as a frank and honest servant of the board, but I do hold the chairman accountable and call on him to resign."

    The ARU responded with a statement that flatly rejected all of Forrest’s charges and reiterated that his offer of support had come "too late in the process for it to be a factor".

    "The decision to discontinue the Super Rugby licence of the Western Force was made by the ARU Board on August 11," Clyne said.

    "Andrew ... referred to a document or documents which indicated that a decision had been made to remove the Western Force in February. This was not the case and there are no documents which contain this information.

    "I can only assume that Andrew has been provided with a document that contains some of the analysis that was undertaken ... to assess the many implications and considerations for exiting each (team)."

    What To Read Next

    Read News24’s Comments Policy

    Live Video Streaming
    Video Highlights
    Sport Talk


    Friday, 23 March 2018
    • Crusaders v Bulls, AMI Stadium 08:35
    • Rebels v Sharks, AAMI Park 10:45
    Saturday, 24 March 2018
    • Sunwolves v Chiefs, Prince Chichibu Memorial Stadium 06:15
    • Hurricanes v Highlanders, Westpac Stadium 08:35
    • Stormers v Reds, Newlands Stadium 17:15
    • Jaguares v Lions, Velez Sarsfield 23:40
    Friday, 30 March 2018
    • Chiefs v Highlanders, Waikato Stadium 08:35
    • Rebels v Hurricanes, AAMI Park 10:45


    Rank Team P W Pts


    “The Reds were not allowed to board a flight from Brazil to Johannesburg because they had not received yellow fever vaccinations. ”

    Opinion Poll

    Who will finish top of the SA Conference in this year's Super Rugby tournament?

    Can you name the top Super Rugby tryscorers of all-time?

    There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.