ARU face state inquiry over Force axing
Cape Town - The Australian Rugby Union (ARU) have been ordered to bring
forward full documentation and potentially sensitive e-mail trails for a state
inquiry into their decision to axe the Western Force from Super Rugby.
Western Australian Senator Linda Reynolds' had motioned for
an inquiry into the matter which was carried on Wednesday after she also began
criticising the ARU’s decision-making processes, particularly their lack of
transparency when removing the Force fromSuper Rugby.
Sydney - The ARU fired back on Tuesday night. They claim they would
have been broke by late 2019 a and potentially in debt of AUS$26 million by the
end of 2020 if five Super Rugby clubs had been retained.
One document that has been revealed explains why the ARU
axed the Force instead of the Melbourne Rebels.
It states they would make an
$18 million saving which the ARU had been unable to do since April because of
court action taken by RugbyWA.
The ARU’s actions in the Force case will be examined by the
Community Affairs References Committee and a report is expected by November 13.
Senator Reynolds named this situation a “Senate Inquiry into
the Future of Rugby Union in Australia”. She hopes the report will reveal all
the necessary facts after RugbyWA lost its appeal to keep the Force alive in
the Supreme Court of New South Wales on Tuesday.
“The Force is so much more than a sports team,” Senator
Reynolds told the Herald Sun.
“It’s a community and the devastation that community faces
...(means) Western Australians need transparency and they need to understand
the process and reason behind it as captain Matt Hodgson said.”