LIVE

    ARU chief rejects Force axe claims 'charade'

    2017-08-30 09:01

    Sydney - Australian Rugby Union chief Cameron Clyne rejected claims on Wednesday that the decision to axe Force from Super Rugby had been made in February and dragging out the process had been "a charade". 

    Mining magnate Andrew Forrest, a heavyweight backer of the club's parent body RugbyWA, said he had come into possession of legal advice sent to the ARU board in February stating the Force was the best team to cut because the legal risk was low. 

    He added that the document indicated the ARU made the decision to dump the team, rather than Melbourne Rebels or Brumbies, back then and the governing body saying it was considering all options up until this month was "a charade". 

    "It shows clearly that in late February this year, the advice was received and taken to cut the Western Force for no other reason apart from legal advice," said Forrest, who had reportedly offered $39 million to support Australian rugby if the Force were saved. 

    "The Western Force was set up to be ambushed. It was going to be bullied into submission. I call on Cameron Clyne to resign." 

    The document, supplied by Forrest to the media, suggested axing either the Brumbies or Rebels without cause would constitute an unlawful termination and the risks were high. 

    But for the ARU-owned Force, it said there was "no legal obligation" to retain the franchise, with the legal risk low. 

    Australia had to cut one of its five Super Rugby teams as the sprawling trans-continental competition slims down from 18 sides to 15 next year. 

    The ARU announced the Force's removal in early August, saying it could not sustain five Super teams financially. The club last week won a right to appeal. 

    Clyne denied the process had been a "charade" and said a decision was only made on August 11.

    "For the record, RugbyWA has been provided several opportunities to put its best business case for the Western Force to the ARU board, from April 10 right up until our final request for this information on August 2, 2017," he said in a statement. 

    "Andrew, in his press conference this morning, referred to a document or documents which indicated that a decision had been made to remove the Western Force in February. 

    "This was not the case and there are no documents which contain this information." 

    Clyne said the legal risk was only one element taken into consideration. 

    Western Force joined Super Rugby in 2006, but have never made the competition's finals series.

    What To Read Next

    Read News24’s Comments Policy

    Live Video Streaming
    Video Highlights
    Sport Talk

    Results

    04 August 2018
    28 July 2018
    21 July 2018
    20 July 2018
    14 July 2018
    13 July 2018
    07 July 2018
    06 July 2018
    30 June 2018
    29 June 2018
    03 June 2018
    02 June 2018
    01 June 2018
    26 May 2018
    25 May 2018
    19 May 2018
    18 May 2018
    12 May 2018
    11 May 2018
    05 May 2018
    04 May 2018
    28 April 2018
    27 April 2018
    22 April 2018
    21 April 2018
    20 April 2018
    14 April 2018
    13 April 2018
    07 April 2018
    06 April 2018
    01 April 2018
    31 March 2018
    30 March 2018
    24 March 2018
    23 March 2018
    18 March 2018
    17 March 2018
    16 March 2018
    10 March 2018
    09 March 2018
    03 March 2018
    02 March 2018
    24 February 2018
    23 February 2018
    17 February 2018

    Logs

    Rank Team P W Pts
    • Lions (Q)
    • Jaguares (wc)
    • Sharks (wc)
    • Stormers
    • Bulls

    Opinion Poll

    Who will win the 2018 Rugby Championships?

    Can you name the top Super Rugby tryscorers of all-time?

    TAKE THE QUIZ
    There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.