Matfield: We must score more tries
Cape Town - Bulls lock Victor Matfield says it's important that they score more tries in this year's Super Rugby competition.
Matfield spoke to the media on Wednesday after he was named as captain for the Bulls' Super Rugby opener against the Stormers this weekend.
"We have to score more tries," he told Netwerk24. "If you go and look at teams who have won this competition, it's normally those who scored the most tries. It's something we've worked hard on."
Matfield was named as captain after regular skipper Pierre Spies was included on the bench for the Stormers clash, with Arno Botha picked to start at No 8.
However, coach Frans Ludeke said not too much should be read into the decision.
"There's no specific reason for the decision," said Ludeke. "We thought it was the best option to let Pierre play off the bench. It's a good way to ease him back after his injury."
Saturday's derby at Loftus Versfeld kicks off at 19:10.
15. Jurgen Visser, 14. Bjorn Basson,
13. JJ Engelbrecht, 12. Jan Serfontein, 11. Francois Hougaard, 10.
Handre Pollard, 9. Piet van Zyl, 8. Arno Botha, 7. Lappies Labuschagne,
6. Deon Stegmann, 5. Victor Matfield (captain), 4. Jacques du Plessis,
3. Werner Kruger, 2. Adriaan Strauss, 1. Trevor Nyakane
16. Callie Visagie, 17. Morne Mellet, 18. Dayan vd Westhuizen/Neethling
Fouche, 19. Grant Hattingh, 20. Pierre Spies, 21. Rudy Paige, 22.
Jacques-Louis Potgieter, 23. Jesse KrielStormers: