Springboks

'No exceptions' for RWC 2023 bid

2016-04-26 21:23
Fikile Mbalula

Cape Town - The SA Department of Sport and Recreation says there will be no exceptions made to allow South Africa to bid to host the 2023 Rugby World Cup. 

On Monday, Sports Minister Fikile Mbalula banned the governing bodies of netball, athletics, cricket and rugby from bidding for, and hosting, major international events after an Eminent Persons Group (EPG) report indicated that all of those sports had failed to transform. 

The ban would be reviewed after the next EPG report is tabled, and that is only expected to happen midway through 2017, according to the department. 

SA Rugby confirmed that they would be engaging with the ministry regarding the ban and how it would affect ambitions to host the World Cup in 2023. 

But the word coming out of national government on Tuesday was not positive. 

Bidding for the 2023 World Cup opened in May last year, with nations having been given a one-month window to express their interest. 

South Africa - alongside Italy, Ireland and France - have since been identified as the possible host nations for the tournament. 

Next month World Rugby will send the relevant 'tender information' to all of the interested parties, who will then have until June 2016 to respond with the details that formulate their bids. 

The current ban suggests that SA Rugby would not be able to engage in that process.

World Rugby will announce the host nation in November 2017. 

Department of Sport and Recreation spokesperson Esethu Hasane confirmed to Sport24 that there would be "no exceptions" regarding rugby's ambitions to host the World Cup in 2023. 

"There will be no special arrangements made for anybody," Hasane said. 

"When the minister addressed the gathering yesterday (Monday) he did not say that there would be exceptions made."

Hasane confirmed that the earliest the ban could be lifted was when the next EPG report is discussed, and he expected that to be in "around May" next year. 

By then it could be too late in terms of securing 2023 hosting rights. 

Hasane said a meeting between SA Rugby and the minister would not be a problem. 

"Whenever there is a request from a federation to meet with the minister, those meetings happen. It is not unusual," he said. 

"At this stage I am not aware of any request from SA Rugby to meet with the minister."

Read more on:    sa rugby  |  rugby world cup  |  fikile mbalula  |  rugby
NEXT ON SPORT24X

What To Read Next

 

Read News24’s Comments Policy

Live Video Streaming
Video Highlights
Sport Talk

Fixtures
Saturday, 09 June 2018
New Zealand v France, Auckland 09:35
Australia v Ireland, Brisbane 12:05
South Africa v England, Johannesburg 17:05
Saturday, 16 June 2018
New Zealand v France, Wellington 09:35
Australia v Ireland, Melbourne 12:05
South Africa v England, Bloemfontein 17:05
Saturday, 23 June 2018
New Zealand v France, Dunedin 09:35
Australia v Ireland, Sydney 12:05
South Africa v England, Cape Town 17:05
Saturday, 18 August 2018
South Africa v Argentina, Durban 00:00
Saturday, 25 August 2018
Argentina v South Africa, TBA 00:00
Saturday, 08 September 2018
Australia v South Africa, Brisbane 00:00
Vote

Springbok coach Allister Coetzee remains defiant, saying he won't resign despite a shambolic two years at the helm. Your thoughts?

 
 
Men
Women
Love 2 Meet
Sport24 on Twitter

Follow Sport24 news on Twitter

English Premiership flutter

Take Sport24's "expert" tips at your peril...

Featured

The 2017/18 Absa Premiership season is under way. Can Bidvest Wits defend their title? Will Soweto giants Kaizer Chiefs or Orlando Pirates emerge victorious? Or will the bookies' favourites, Mamelodi Sundowns, taste success for a record eighth time? Stay glued to Sport24 to find out!

Latest blogs
 

Twitter Follow Sport24 on Twitter

Facebook "Like" Sport24's Facebook page

WIN Enter and win with Sport24!

BlackBerry Stay in the loop on your BlackBerry

RSS Feeds Sport news delivered really simply.

 
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.