London - Saracens
and England centre Alex Lozowski has appealed against a reviewed
two-week ban that is set to rule him out of England's opening November
international against South Africa.
Lozowski was banned by an independent disciplinary committee after
being cited for dangerous play at a ruck during Saracens' European
Champions Cup victory over Glasgow earlier this month.
Officials initially ruled the 25-year-old would miss last weekend's
Champions Cup tie and the Premiership Cup match against Leicester on
Saturday before becoming available on October 29.
The Premiership Cup, as opposed to England's top division
Premiership, is designed mainly as a tournament for emerging players but
one for which Lozowski was eligible.
Nevertheless, following Lozowski's call-up to the England squad for
the November internationals and their ongoing training camp in Portugal,
European Professional Club Rugby's independent disciplinary review
adjusted the matches that would be covered by the suspension on the
grounds he was unlikely to play in the Premiership Cup fixture in any
"The player is appealing against the initial finding that the alleged
act of foul play warranted a red card, and against a subsequent review
of the sanction which found that his period of suspension should be
extended," EPCR said in a statement issued Thursday.
But there was a fresh complication on Thursday when EPCR said it had
appealed against the independent disciplinary committee's decision to
dismiss a second citing complaint against Lozowski arising from the
Lozowski was also cited for an alleged dangerous tackle on Glasgow
fullback Ruaridh Jackson, but the committee decided that incident did
not warrant a red card and dismissed the complaint.
Both appeals will be heard in London on Friday.
England face the Springboks at Twickenham on November 3.