Cape Town - Springbok coach Allister Coetzee says he will stay in the job until the 2019 Rugby World Cup.
Following a horrendous 2016 that saw the Boks win just 4 of their 12 Test matches, Coetzee had come under increased pressure and it was only confirmed by SA Rugby last week that he would remain on as coach in 2017.
A training squad has assembled in Johannesburg this week for a mini-camp - the first of 2017 - and Coetzee addressed media on Sunday, saying that he was ready to guide the Springboks into the new year and beyond, with the World Cup in 2019 still the priority.
"I signed last year until 2019 and the contract hasn’t changed and, personally‚ I take it that in every Test where you go and represent the Springboks‚ there is a gun against your head to perform and it’s there for everyone‚" Coetzee was quoted as saying by Business Day.
Coetzee was also pleased to have some clarity on overseas-based player policy.
SA Rugby on Friday announced that only players who have over 30 Test caps would be illegible for Springbok selection.
"There’s no limit on the (number) of overseas-based players I can pick and I’m happy with the policy that has been put into place," said Coetzee.
"There are players who have done their hard yards and have taken part in 30 Tests and they also need to take part in the succession plan for the 2019 Rugby World Cup and be available for that."