Cape Town - Former Springbok captain Corne Krige was "very sad" that South Africa lost out to France as the host of the 2023 Rugby World Cup.
READ: World Rugby denies 'humiliation' as 2023 RWC goes to France
France on Wednesday won the right to stage the 2023 tournament as voted by members of the World Rugby Council in London.
Krige, who played 39 Tests for the Boks between 1999 and 2003, shared his disappointment on Twitter and said that he will not be flying to France.
"Very sad that we missed out on hosting @rugbyworldcup in 2023. Just shows you how unpredictable a voting system is. I know we have crime but I dont think I will go to France with all the terror attacks going on in Europe," wrote Krige.
The secret ballot featured 18 countries or regions, each carrying 1, 2 or 3 votes, giving a grand total of 39 votes.
France received 24 votes to win hosting rights for the tournament while South Africa received the remaining 15 after Ireland fell out in the first round of voting
READ: Did political unrest, crime cost SA 2023 RWC?
Last month World Rugby published an evaluation report which said South Africa should be chosen as hosts with an overall rating of 78.97%, compared with 75.88% for France and 72.25% for Ireland, across a range of criteria.
Krige, who captained his country in 18 Tests, questioned why the World Rugby would go do and go against an independent audit.
"Crazy. I wonder why they even appointed an independent firm to make a recommendation?"