Rugby

RWC to allow temporary concussion subs

2015-05-16 07:23
RWC 2015 (Getty Images)

London - Players who suffer head injuries during this year's World Cup in England will be allowed a temporary substitute while they undergo a medical assessment, the sport's global governing body announced Friday.

World Rugby said it was adopting temporary substitution for head injuries at the elite level into its full-time law book on August 1, just over a month before the start of the World Cup in England after what World Rugby said were "overwhelmingly positive results" during a global trial period.

Martin Raftery, World Rugby's chief medical officer, said: "As someone who has been involved as a team doctor in elite sport for more than 25 years, I firmly believe that medical management of concussion in rugby has never been stronger. Law changes, pitch-side and post-injury management, combined with greater education and awareness are ensuring that we continue to put our players first."

Officials cited research from last year's British Journal of Sports Medicine which said that prior to the temporary substitution rule, 56 percent of players with a confirmed concussion remained on the field following their injury, with the figure now under 12 percent.

Read more on:    rwc 2015  |  rugby
NEXT ON SPORT24X

What To Read Next

 

Read News24’s Comments Policy

24.com publishes all comments posted on articles provided that they adhere to our Comments Policy. Should you wish to report a comment for editorial review, please do so by clicking the 'Report Comment' button to the right of each comment.

Comment on this story
0 comments
Comments have been closed for this article.
Live Video Streaming
Video Highlights
Sport Talk

 
 
Men
Women
Love 2 Meet
Sport24 on Twitter

Follow Sport24 news on Twitter

Featured

The 2017/18 Absa Premiership season is under way. Can Bidvest Wits defend their title? Will Soweto giants Kaizer Chiefs or Orlando Pirates emerge victorious? Or will the bookies' favourites, Mamelodi Sundowns, taste success for a record eighth time? Stay glued to Sport24 to find out!

Latest blogs
Vote

Springbok coach Allister Coetzee remains defiant, saying he won't resign despite a shambolic two years at the helm. Your thoughts?

Twitter Follow Sport24 on Twitter

Facebook "Like" Sport24's Facebook page

WIN Enter and win with Sport24!

BlackBerry Stay in the loop on your BlackBerry

RSS Feeds Sport news delivered really simply.

 
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.