Wellington - A New Zealand fireworks
company that botched a pyrotechnics display at an All Blacks match in Auckland
last year, injuring three spectators, has been fined more than $66 000).
One fan was badly cut in the incident at
Eden Park in August, 2014, and WorkSafe New Zealand said it was lucky no one in
the packed stands sustained life-threatening injuries.
The company, Van Tiel Pyrotechnics, was
hired to set off two powerful "fireball" devices after the All Blacks
completed their famous haka challenge ahead of a Test match against Australia.
But the devices went off unexpectedly and
WorkSafe said "the force of the explosion shattered the mortars, throwing
fragments into the crowds".
An investigation found Van Tiel
manufactured the fireballs using an incorrect mix of substances, as well as
failing to properly label and track explosive materials.
New Zealand Rugby stopped using fireworks
for pre-match entertainment after the accident.