Rugby

Horne, McMahon stick with Oz

2015-01-29 07:38
Rob Horne (Gallo Images)

Sydney - Australia, facing a star player exodus post-World Cup, have signed two-year contract extensions with 20-year-old backrow forward Sean McMahon and wing Rob Horne, who had been linked with a big money move to Europe.

Both men will now remain in Australian rugby for the next three seasons, Australian Rugby Union (ARU) said in a statement Thursday.

McMahon, who made his Wallabies debut in 2014, stays at the Melbourne Rebels and Horne at the Waratahs, who kick off the defence of their Super Rugby title on February 13.

Rebels coach Tony McGahan praised McMahon -- Australian Super Rugby rookie of the year -- noting, "Sean has made a wonderful impact at the Rebels, despite still being just 20."

Horne, aged 25 and with 25 caps, featured in the 2011 World Cup in New Zealand and the British and Irish Lions series in 2013.

"Rob's been an invaluable asset to the Waratahs over the last two years since I've had the pleasure of coaching him," Wallabies and Waratahs coach Michael Cheika said.

"The next two years of his career here will see him become a real leader within our squad."

Horne and McMahon are expected to feature in the Wallabies squad for the World Cup in September and October.

The ARU announcement came after Cheika backed mid-contract sabbaticals for Australia's elite.

Stars such as Adam Ashley-Cooper, former skipper James Horwill, Will Genia and Sekope Kepu are due to leave Australia after the World Cup. Many more have been made tempting offers.

"We have to be more creative around our contracting," Cheika said Wednesday and suggested progress had been made on the issue in recent meetings.

ARU chief executive Bill Pulver however repeated his backing for contract rules that prevent overseas-based stars from playing for the Wallabies.

"I still retain the view that if you open that up, you risk having a Super Rugby competition with no profile players and not a lot to offer fans," he said at the official season launch on Wednesday.

"We'll look at all the options, we'll try to be as creative as we can but with the basic position that we want to protect the quality of player we have for Australian rugby fans."

Read more on:    rob horne  |  rugby

 

Read News24’s Comments Policy

24.com publishes all comments posted on articles provided that they adhere to our Comments Policy. Should you wish to report a comment for editorial review, please do so by clicking the 'Report Comment' button to the right of each comment.

Comment on this story
1 comment
Comments have been closed for this article.
Live Video Streaming
Video Highlights
Sport Talk

 
 
Men
Women
Love 2 Meet
Sport24 on Twitter

Follow Sport24 news on Twitter

Featured

The 2018/19 Absa Premiership season is in full swing. Will Mamelodi Sundowns retain their title? Or can one of Kaizer Chiefs, Orlando Pirates, Wits, SuperSport United - or another team perhaps - snatch glory from the Brazilians? Be sure to visit Sport24 for all the latest news!

Latest blogs
Vote

Which of the 4 South African team will finish with the fewest Super Rugby SA Conference points?

Twitter Follow Sport24 on Twitter

Facebook "Like" Sport24's Facebook page

WIN Enter and win with Sport24!

BlackBerry Stay in the loop on your BlackBerry

RSS Feeds Sport news delivered really simply.

 
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.