Glasgow sneak past Bath

2011-11-13 17:13

Paris - Glasgow continued the rash of last second escapes in the opening weekend of the European Cup on Sunday as they beat former winners Bath 26-21 thanks to a converted Richie Gray try.

Gray's try - converted by man-of-the-match Duncan Weir - saw them go top of Pool 3 which also includes champions Leinster and Montpellier - the Irish province had grabbed a last second draw with the French outfit on Saturday.

Leinster's fellow two-time European champions Munster had also got out of jail on Saturday with Ronan O'Gara's 84th minute drop goal seeing them edge last year's finalists Northampton.

"We have now won three successive home matches against English sides," said Weir.

"We had won five on the trot coming into this match so we had momentum.

"We stuck in there and we ground out the win."

Glasgow and Bath - who had All Black World Cup winning flyhalf Stephen Donald on the bench - fought out a scrappy first-half which saw the English side unfortunate not to score a try but sterling Scottish defence held them off.

The hosts held a 9-6 advantage at the break thanks to three penalties by Weir to two from Bath counterpart and Academy graduate Tom Heathcote.

Weir missed the chance to extend the hosts' lead two minutes into the second-half as he dragged a penalty wide of the posts.

Heatcote, though, showed no sign of nerves, even with future No 1 choice Donald looking on, as the 19-year-old slotted over his third penalty of the game shortly afterwards to restore parity.

The youngster added another penalty to give the visitors the lead at 12-9.

However, against the run of play, Glasgow scored the first try of the match as fullback Stuart Hogg went over on the hour mark and Weir converted for 16-12.

The metronomic Heathcote reduced the deficit to just one point with his fifth penalty two minutes later and sent Bath into the lead again in the 68th minute with his sixth successive penalty.

The teenager was promptly taken off and Donald came on for his debut.

However, it was Weir who struck next after he added a penalty following a good break by him which resulted in the Bath infringement to restore the Scottish side's one point lead.

In a topsy-turvy encounter Donald then sent Bath back into the lead with three minutes remaining as he landed a penalty leaving the hosts an uphill task to win the game.

However, having set Weir up for the drop goal attempt the flyhalf made a lame attempt but the bounce of the ball fooled the Bath defence and fell kindly to Gray who went over under the posts to touch down - Weir added the conversion to complete a remarkable end to the match.

"It was unfortunate for the Bath defence but that is what can happen with the bounce of the ball," said Weir.

"It fell kindly for Richie and he finished it off."