Rugby

ERC chief scoffs at breakaway

2013-09-23 20:00
Jean-Pierre Lux (Getty Images)

Paris - The chairman of the European Rugby Cup is adamant that proposed plans for a new breakaway tournament to challenge the Heineken Cup next season will not come to light.

The existing tournament agreement expires next summer and leading English and French clubs previously announced plans for a new tournament called the Rugby Champion's Cup.

Premiership Rugby and its French counterparts from the LNR — which oversees France's elite Top 14 league — are embroiled in an increasingly bitter row with the ERC over the Heineken Cup's future.

Premiership Rugby chief executive Mark McCafferty has said that he expects Celtic and Italian teams to join them. But ERC chairman Jean-Pierre Lux says his organization will not support such a venture and that any Anglo-French breakaway tournament requires FFR and Rugby Football Union approval since they are the sport's respective governing bodies.

"The FFR has now officially reminded the LNR that no international game involving French clubs can take place without the advance permission of the FFR. And the RFU has a similar position regarding Premiership Rugby," Lux said Monday at the launch of this season's Heineken Cup and Amlin Challenge Cup tournaments.

"I hope we will be able to reach an agreement," Lux added. "It would be disastrous to deprive so many players and fans of the opportunity of participating in such an outstanding tournament."

Premiership Rugby and LNR currently are at loggerheads with the ERC over financial, qualification and competition structure changes that they want to the existing two European tournaments.

The FFR has thrown its backing behind the ERC — seemingly ensuring at least that no French clubs would be get to play in the new breakaway tournament.

"No meeting or international competition involving French clubs can be organized outside the framework of the FFR and without its prior agreement," the FFR said in a statement. "The FFR has always been and will remain a major player in the European cups organized by ERC and backs proposals to permit the continuity and development of these."

Canadian lawyer Graeme Mew has been asked by the ERC to act a mediator in the dispute. The next round of negotiations is set for October 23, although it is not clear at this stage who will take part.

Read more on:    erc  |  heineken cup  |  rugby
NEXT ON SPORT24X

What To Read Next

 

Read News24’s Comments Policy

24.com publishes all comments posted on articles provided that they adhere to our Comments Policy. Should you wish to report a comment for editorial review, please do so by clicking the 'Report Comment' button to the right of each comment.

Comment on this story
2 comments
Comments have been closed for this article.
Live Video Streaming
Sport Talk

 
 
Men
Women
Love 2 Meet
Sport24 on Twitter

Follow Sport24 news on Twitter

English Premiership flutter

Take Sport24's "expert" tips at your peril...

Featured

The 2017/18 Absa Premiership season is under way. Can Bidvest Wits defend their title? Will Soweto giants Kaizer Chiefs or Orlando Pirates emerge victorious? Or will the bookies' favourites, Mamelodi Sundowns, taste success for a record eighth time? Stay glued to Sport24 to find out!

Latest blogs
Vote

Springbok coach Allister Coetzee remains defiant, saying he won't resign despite a shambolic two years at the helm. Your thoughts?

Twitter Follow Sport24 on Twitter

Facebook "Like" Sport24's Facebook page

WIN Enter and win with Sport24!

BlackBerry Stay in the loop on your BlackBerry

RSS Feeds Sport news delivered really simply.

 
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.