Griffons leap past Leopards

2012-07-07 18:46

Welkom - Reinhardt Erwee scored 26 points to lead the Griffons to a 41-20 (half-time 16-3) victory over the Platinum Leopards in their Currie Cup First Division match at the North West Stadium on Saturday.

Left wing Erwee scored a try and kicked three conversions and five penalties as the Griffons eased to their second consecutive win of the season after beating the Valke 37-27 in their opening fixture.

The match had been a relatively tight affair as the hosts had held a 27-20 lead after 66 minutes but two tries in the last eight minutes of the contest saw the Griffons secure the victory and pick up a bonus-point for scoring four tries.

Erwee and Leopards flyhalf Gerhard Nortier had traded early penalties before the Griffons grabbed the first try of the contest through inside centre Japie Nel.

Erwee added the two points before kicking two penalties as the Griffons went to the break holding a sizeable 16-3 lead.

Erwee, who missed just one kick during the match, added his fourth penalty two minutes after the restart before the Leopards, who won their opening match of the season when they beat the Pumas, launched a fight-back.

Right wing George Tossel went over for his first try of the match in the 43rd minute to narrow the gap to 19-8.

The Griffons struck back through a try from flyhalf Tertius Maarman but tries for the Leopards pair of Tossel and replacement lock Juan Pretorius sandwiched yet another Erwee penalty as the Leopards closed the gap to seven points.

But the impressive Griffons were not to be denied with their late assault as Erwee crossed for a converted try before outside centre Werner Griesel grabbed the bonus-point try with the final whistle having already sounded.


Griffons – Tries: Japie Nel, Terius Maarman, Reinhardt Erwee, Werner Griesel; Conversions: Erwee (3); Penalties: Erwee (5).

Platinum Leopards – Tries: George Tossel (2), Juan Pretorius; Conversion: Adriaan Engelbrecht; Penalty: Gerhard Nortier.