Cape Town - Western Province are set to have fit-again skipper Juan de Jongh back in the mix for Friday's Currie Cup clash against the Golden Lions in Johannesburg (18:00 kick-off).
De Jongh has been out of action since mid-August with a knee injury and his return is a huge boost ahead of the semi-finals.
“Medically he has 40 minutes (in him), it’s up to us to decide which 40 minutes it will be - the first or second half,” coach John Dobson said on the WP Rugby website.
“Having him back is a big boost for us, which is why I am considering to start with him. He is the leader of this squad, everyone looks up to him, so his return is certainly timely.”
Loose forward Chris Cloete, an 11th hour withdrawal ahead of last weekend’s 50-19 win over the Pumas, is fit and up for selection, as is prop Steven Kitshoff, but calls will still be made over fellow loose forward Rynhardt Elstadt and fullback Cheslin Kolbe.
The WP team will be announced on Tuesday afternoon.
The full Western Province injury report:
- Juan de Jongh (MCL) is back and available for selection.
- Flank Chris Cloete (calf muscle) is 100% fit and available for this weekend.
- Flyhalf Kurt Coleman (calf) is available for selection this week, after missing his team’s recent wins over the Sharks, Bulls and Pumas.
- Loosehead prop Steven Kitshoff (chest) is up for selection again this week.
- Final calls will be made over the availability of flank Rynhardt Elstadt (thigh) and fullback Cheslin Kolbe (bone bruising) on Tuesday.
- Hooker Scarra Ntubeni (calf muscle) is one week into his layoff in what is a potential three-week injury.