Cape Town - 2013 will go down in the sporting annals as one
of the finest - yet saddest - in living memory.
1. Joost: I'm on my deathbed (130 056)
The deaths of Burry Stander and 'Baby Jake' Matlala, as well as the continued
sickness of Joost van der Westhuizen, dominated the headlines.
The news of Paralympian star Oscar Pistorius allegedly killing his girlfriend
on Valentine's Day shocked not only the sporting fraternity, but the
world at large.
On the field, the Sharks proved Currie Cup victors, while the Proteas held onto
their No 1 Test ranking, Bafana Bafana failed to qualify for the 2014 Soccer
World Cup in Brazil and the Springboks came oh-so-close to upsetting the mighty
Unfortunately the trials and tribulations at SA Rugby, Cricket South Africa and
SAFA - once again - dominated the headlines over the past 12 months.
Without further ado, here are the most viewed articles on Sport24 for 2013:
2. Joost's condition deteriorates (111 263)
3. Oscar's wild side exposed (101 282)
4. 'Baby Jake' Matlala dies (93 933)
5. Death rocks cricket fraternity (85 977)
6. Afrikaners upset Sharls skipper (81 937)
7. Frail Joost in wheelchair (81 437)
8. All Blacks laud Jean de Villiers after typo (78 843)
9. Bryan Habana bags R660k per month (76 241)
10. SA cyclist Burry Stander dies (75 116)
All images from Gallo Images