Cape Town - Durban could be at risk of losing the 2022 Commonwealth Games, SASCOC president Gideon Sam has revealed.
According to Eyewitness News, Durban could be stripped of the Games, unless it meets several conditions by November 30.
Some of the issues raised are that the 2022 Games is still without a local organising committee and the South African government has also not confirmed underwriting arrangements nor made any payments to the Commonwealth Games Federation (CGF).
"The announcement can go either way to say we’re ready to move forward, or we’ve looked at our conditions and resources in the country and we feel that we should not go ahead. I think the CGF could give us that answer by 30 (November)," said Sam.
"We have raised our issues and asked if we could ensure that by 30 November, we will have these issues in place."
Sport24 reported earlier that the country's government estimated that hosting the Games would deliver up to R20bn in output to the economy, translating into an additional R11bn GDP growth.
The budget for the 2022 event was announced as R6.4bn last year, however it is subject to change.
The city of Durban has been confirmed as historic host of the 2022 Commonwealth Games in 2015.
Organisers said the Games would be held from July 18-30, opening on the birth date of the late South African president Nelson Mandela.
It will be the first time an African city hosts the Commonwealth Games.
The next Commonwealth Games will be held at Australia's Gold Coast in 2018.