News24

Olympic torch goes out briefly

2012-05-21 16:33

London - Organisers say the Olympic torch was briefly snuffed out during the relay leading up to the London 2012 Games.

The torch was attached on Monday morning to the side of Para-badminton player David Follett's wheelchair in the western England town of Great Torrington when the flame went out.

The London Organising Committee of the Olympic and Paralympic Games said the flame went out due to a malfunctioning burner.

Such occurrences are fairly common and organisers keep a "mother flame" in a protective lantern just in case.

Follet, who uses a wheelchair after being injured in a car accident at 19, was given a replacement torch and the relay continued.

It is travelling 12 875km around the UK, with a stopover in Ireland.

SAPA