Cape Town - KwaZulu-Natal's Carmel Billson - for the third year running - was named General Tire Lifesaving South Africa Female Athlete of the Year while Tuks Lifesaving Club's Johan Lourens was the Male Athlete of the Year.
KZN also produced the winner's in the Junior Female Athlete of the Year, through Paige Horn from Umhlanga Rox and Durban Surf's Connor Botha was the Junior Male Athlete of the Year for the second year.
Lifesavings top 24 athletes (Junior and Senior team) will compete in this year's Lifesaving World Championships being held in Australia in November thanks to the combined efforts of Lifesaving SA, it's primary sponsor General Tire and the National Lotteries Commission.
Eastern Cape's Earl Ingram won the prestigious President’s Award for his outstanding commitment and dedication to the administrative and sporting fields of lifesaving.
Ingram, who is the Chairman of Nelson Mandela Bay District has taken the district to new heights. He was responsible for hosting a successful General Tire Lifesaving South Africa National Pool Championships held in Port Elizabeth this year.
He also participated in the inaugural General Tire Tough Guy Challenge as a Master, competing in 7 of lifesavings toughest individual events.
Russell Sadler from Marine Surf Lifesaving was named Coach of the Year.
Gauteng’s Senathla Lifesaving Club was named Club of the Year and Kings Beach's Tess Kotze was Lifesaver of the year for her dedicated service to the lifesaving movement over the past season.
General Tire Lifesaving South Africa 2017 national awards:
1. President's Award - Earl Ingram from Seagull’s for his excellent and outstanding contribution to lifesaving
2. Club of the Year - Senathla from Gauteng province
3. Daphne Nel Trophy - Lifesaving Western Cape for the greatest membership growth
4. Lifesaver of the Year - Tess Kotze (Kings Beach)
5. Administration Cup - Lifesaving KZN
6. Instructor of the Year - Steven Sparks from Llandudno
7. Medical Safety Trophy - Pool Awards - Gauteng Province
8. Medical Safety Trophy - Surf Awards - Lifesaving Western Cape
9. Patroller of the Year - Inland - Kyle Carbonell-Taylor from Harties Reflections with 109,30 hours
10. Patroller of the Year - Coastal - Simphiwe Mthethwa from Durban Surf in KZN with 624 hours
11. Male Athlete of the Year - Johan Lourens Tuks Lifesaving
12. Female Athlete of the Year - Carmel Billson from Marine
13. Junior Male Athlete of the Year - Connor Botha from Durban Surf
14. Junior Female Athlete of the Year - Paige Horn from Umhlanga Rox
15. Coach of the Year - Russell Sadler from Marine
16. LSA Honours
a. Carlo Klaasen
b. Stanford Slabbert
17. LSA Meritorious Award
a. Ernie Malgas
b. Martina van den Bout
c. Peter Odendaal
d. Valencia Walker
e. Warren Prins
18. Certificate for Long Service - Bruce Roberts for 25 years or more.
19. Bavo Verheyden for best drowning prevention initiative - Sun City Lifesaving
LSA Bravery Awards
Letter of Appreciation:
Wian Schoeman from Harties Reflection Lifesaving Club
Brett Usher from Pennington
Letter of Commendation:
Peter Brits from Port Elizabeth
Peter Brereton from Port Edward
Rustin Naidoo from Park Rynie Ski Boat Club
Sibusiso Matrick Mbhele from Suncoast Pirates Lifesaving Club for his heroic effort in rescuing 11 people from floods