Other Sport

Conor McGregor: “I am 100% focused on returning”

2016-05-23 21:30
Conor McGregor (supplied)
Cape Town - It has been a while since the UFC featherweight champion has spoken on a platform other than his social media accounts.

On Sunday, ESPN released footage of an interview they recently conducted with the 27-year old champion where he discusses the fallout with the promotion over UFC 200, media obligations as well as his hunger to get back to doing what he does best. Fighting.

McGregor who calls the fall out a “publicised civil war” says that it was a lack of communication between himself and the promotion which ultimately led to him being pulled from UFC 200.

"That’s how it all came about. I Just wanted to focus and I was deep in the process, and especially at that particular moment, I just wanted a little more time. I didn’t shut it off completely.

"Reasonable media, is what I said. I said I would do New York. I said I would do everything else after that. I just needed a little bit to set myself, and then the lack of communication, they weren’t having it. They were trying to push back on me, I was pushing back on them, and look, it blew up then."
 
Now focused on returning McGregor has since mended what was thought to be a badly hurt relationship with both UFC President Dana White and CEO Lorenzo Fertitta. The trio met for dinner earlier in the week and although there is no opponent in play right now things seem to back to normal.

"I’m committed to the fight game. I enjoy competition. I enjoy challenges. So, if a challenge is in front of me, and it appeals to me, then I will go and conquer it."
 
Right now the “challenge” that both media and fans around the world want to see is the rematch between McGregor and Diaz. Seemingly unbeatable since coming into the UFC, McGregor went finished six of his seven promotional wins by way of KO. 

His only hiccup came against Diaz back at UFC 196 where he was defeated by way of second round rear-naked-choke. While the relationships between the UFC brass and the Irish superstar have apparently been mended the same cannot be said for the Diaz/White one.

A date, venue and opponent are yet to be announced for McGregor’s much-anticipated return. But one thing is certain. The man is hungry to return to the octagon.

"I feel something burning in my belly. It’s like my gut has been emptied again. I don’t let anything interfere with it, as you can tell when that stuff blew up. 

I am 100% focused on returning. I’m open to challenges. I enjoy fighting, period," concluded McGregor.

Read more on:    ufc  |  conor mcgregor  |  mma
NEXT ON SPORT24X

What To Read Next

 

Read News24’s Comments Policy

Live Video Streaming
Video Highlights
Sport Talk

Live scoring

 
 
Men
Women
Love 2 Meet
English Premiership flutter

Take Sport24's "expert" tips at your peril...

Sport24 on Twitter

Follow Sport24 news on Twitter

Featured

The 2017/18 Absa Premiership season is under way. Can Bidvest Wits defend their title? Will Soweto giants Kaizer Chiefs or Orlando Pirates emerge victorious? Or will the bookies' favourites, Mamelodi Sundowns, taste success for a record eighth time? Stay glued to Sport24 to find out!

Latest blogs
Vote

Floyd 'Money' Mayweather v Conor 'The Notorious' McGregor ... who've you got in Saturday's mega fight?

Twitter Follow Sport24 on Twitter

Facebook "Like" Sport24's Facebook page

WIN Enter and win with Sport24!

BlackBerry Stay in the loop on your BlackBerry

RSS Feeds Sport news delivered really simply.

 
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.