Other Sport

Mayweather speaks on Ray Rice penalty

2014-09-10 08:50
Floyd Mayweather (File)

Las Vegas - Champion boxer Floyd Mayweather Jr. says he believes the NFL should have stuck with its original discipline of Ray Rice, saying the league was overly influenced by new video showing Rice knocking out his then-fiancee in an Atlantic City casino elevator.

The boxing superstar, who has had his own domestic abuse issues, said Tuesday he didn't feel the original two-game suspension should be changed because of video.

"I think there's a lot worse things that go on in other people's households, also," Mayweather said. "It's just not caught on video, if that's safe to say."

Mayweather, who spent two months in a Las Vegas jail in 2012, still maintains his innocence even after pleading to reduced domestic abuse charges stemming from an attack on his former girlfriend while their children watched. Had Mayweather not taken the plea bargain, he would have gone to trial on felony charges that could have gotten him up to 34 years in prison.

Mayweather was also named in a civil lawsuit last week by his former fiancee, who said the fighter assaulted her and kept her from leaving his Las Vegas mansion.

Shantel Jackson also said the boxer publicly humiliated her by posting a sonogram showing her pregnant with twins online, and then claiming she aborted them.

Mayweather said he has been falsely accused many times.

"Like I've said in the past, no bumps, no bruises, no nothing," Mayweather said.

"With O.J. and Nicole, you seen pictures. With Chris Brown and Rihanna, you seen pictures. With (Chad) Ochocinco and Evelyn, you seen pictures. You guys have yet to see any pictures of a battered woman, a woman who says she was kicked and beaten (by Mayweather). So I just live my life and try to stay positive, and try to become a better person each and every day."

Mayweather made his remarks before a small group of reporters at the MGM Grand hotel, where he made a formal fight week arrival for his rematch Saturday with Argentina's Marcos Maidana.

Mayweather won a majority decision over Maidana in May but was roughed up at times in perhaps the toughest of his recent string of fights.

The unbeaten 37-year-old also said he plans to fight just twice more after Maidana, finishing his career next September. He didn't specifically dismiss Manny Pacquiao as an opponent for one of those bouts, as he has repeatedly done in the past, though he said reports there had been talks on a possible fight were completely false.

NEXT ON SPORT24X

What To Read Next

 

Read News24’s Comments Policy

24.com publishes all comments posted on articles provided that they adhere to our Comments Policy. Should you wish to report a comment for editorial review, please do so by clicking the 'Report Comment' button to the right of each comment.

Comment on this story
0 comments
Comments have been closed for this article.
Live Video Streaming
Video Highlights
Sport Talk

 
 
Men
Women
Love 2 Meet
Sport24 on Twitter

Follow Sport24 news on Twitter

Featured

The 2017/18 Absa Premiership season is under way. Can Bidvest Wits defend their title? Will Soweto giants Kaizer Chiefs or Orlando Pirates emerge victorious? Or will the bookies' favourites, Mamelodi Sundowns, taste success for a record eighth time? Stay glued to Sport24 to find out!

Latest blogs
Vote

Caster Semenya has been nominated for the 2018 Laureus World Sportswoman of the Year award. Which of the nominees deserves the award most?

Twitter Follow Sport24 on Twitter

Facebook "Like" Sport24's Facebook page

WIN Enter and win with Sport24!

BlackBerry Stay in the loop on your BlackBerry

RSS Feeds Sport news delivered really simply.

 
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.