Durban - UCI world tour rider and defending South African time trial champion Daryl Impey (Orica-GreenEDGE) clocked the fastest time to claim his fifth national title on day two of the 2016 SA National Road, Time Trial and Para-cycling Championships in Wartburg.
Under-23 rider Stefan de Bod (Dimension Data for Qhubeka Continental Team), was second fastest overall, only 12 seconds off Impey’s pace in the 48km race.
Impey came into the race with high expectations and was elated with his victory after stopping the clock in 01:01:22.37.
“It’s nice to be back here and there’s always pressure to come back and defend the TT, but it was a lot harder this year,” he said after claiming victory.
“The guys have improved quite a bit. I was pretty confident that I could come in and do a good ride and I’m happy to walk away with it.”
Team Dimension Data for Qhubeka rounded out the Elite podium with Reinardt Janse van Rensburg in second place and Johann van Zyl in third.
De Bod was a convincing winner in the Under-23 race ahead of his Dimension Data for Qhubeka Continental Team team-mates Ryan Gibbons and Keagan Girdlestone.
Junior rider Gregory de Vink of the LEADout SA team nailed the 24km route to secure the national time trial title in 34:27.65.
Jason Oosthuizen was the second junior home in 35:13.99 with Enno Swanepoel rounding out the podium in 35:30.91.
In the masters’ men categories, Luke Pheiffer, who has placed his full focus on racing against the clock, claimed his seventh time trial National title when he won the 24km 40-44 race.
The road race continues in Westville on Saturday and Sunday, starting at 07:00. Motorists have been warned to look out for road closures and alternative routes.
Elite Men (48km)
1. Daryl Impey 01:01:22.37
2. Reinardt Janse van Rensburg 01:02:06.31
3. Johann van Zyl 01:04:11.72
Under-23 Men (48km)
1. Stefan de Bod 01:01:35.08
2 .Ryan Gibbons 01:02:35.32
3. Keagan Girdlestone 01:03:36.54
Junior Men (24km)
1. Gregory de Vink 00:34:27.65
2. Jason Oosthuizen 00:35:13.99
3. Enno Albertus Swanepoel 00:35:30.91
Men 35-39 (24km)
1. Deno van Heerden 00:36:02.83
2. Kris van Straaten 00:36:28.49
3. Miguel Dos Santos 00:37:50.58
Men 30-34 (24km)
1. Alex Pavlov 00:35:17.62
2. Neil Timm 00:35:31.19
3. Andrew Stockwell 00:35:54.53
Men 40-44 (24km)
1. Luke Pheiffer 00:35:49.31
2. Thys Oosthuizen 00:36:11.40
3. Kent Kirkwood 00:36:51.39
Men 45-49 (24km)
1. Martin van Wyk 00:36:12.36
2. Samuel de Swardt 00:36:34.68
3. Steven Shirley 00:36:58.08