Ponferrada - German Lisa Brennauer has produced a stunning ride to win the women's
world time-trial title in Ponferrada, north-western Spain, on Tuesday.
26-year-old, junior world champion in 2005, beat Anna Solovey of
Ukraine by 18sec with American Evelyn Stevens another 3sec further back.
And she admitted it was an unexpected success.
"For me, it couldn't have been any better so I'm very happy right now," she said.
still surprised right now, I can't believe it. The world championships
have their own rules; sometimes there are people who you don't see the
whole year who only prepare for this one race so they're not on your
"I'm very happy and overwhelmed, it needs time for it to sink in."
Last year's champion Ellen van Dijk finished a disappointing seventh, more than a minute off the pace on the 29.5km course.
the Dutchwoman, who was last to ride, was hampered in the closing
stages by a torrential downpour that also affected New Zealand's Linda
Villumsen, last year's runner-up, who could only manage ninth.
silver medal ensured a dramatic return to form for the 22-year-old who
came back from a two-year doping suspension a year ago.
Before that she had won back-to-back junior time-trial titles in 2009 and 2010.
the runner-up two years ago, made up for the disappointment of
finishing fourth last year, missing out to teammate Carmen Small by just
four hundredths of a second.
Earlier in the day, another German took gold as Lennard Kamna won the junior men's event, also held over 29.5km.
His winning time of 36min 13.49sec was more than two-and-a-half minutes quicker than his compatriot's.
American Adrien Costa was second, nearly 45sec behind, with Michael Storer of Australia third, almost a minute slower.
Meanwhile, South Africa's entries into the event did not fare too well as Heidi Dalton finished well down the standings in 43rd place, 5mins 43.86secs behind Brennauer, with An-Li Kachelhoffer pulling out of the race before the start.
Results from the third day of the road cycling world championships in Ponferrada, Spain on Tuesday:
Women's timetrial - 29.5km
1. Lisa Brennauer (GER) 38min 48.16sec, 2. Anna Solovey (UKR) at 18.68sec, 3. Evelyn Stevens (USA) 21.25, 4. Mieke Kroeger (GER) 38.29, 5. Ann-Sophie Duyck (BEL) 45.31, 6. Carol-Ann Canuel (CAN) 51.26, 7. Ellen van Dijk (NED) 1:11.64, 8. Alison Powers (USA) 1:14.17, 9. Linda Villumsen (NZL) 1:14.28, 10. Trixi Worrack (GER) 1:15.25
43. Heidi Dalton (RSA) 5:43.86
DNS An-Li Kachelhoffer (RSA)
Men's junior timetrial - 29.5km
1. Lennard Kamna (GER) 36min 13.49sec, 2. Adrien Costa (USA) at 44.66sec, 3. Michael Storer (AUS) 58.11, Filippo Ganna (ITA) 1:05.94, Zeke Mostov (USA) 1:19.13
28. Gustav Basson (RSA) 2:56.25
44. Ivan Venter (RSA) 3:36.84