Athletics

Injury ends season for world champion Barshim

2018-07-10 13:19
Mutaz Barshim (Getty Images)
Mutaz Barshim (Getty Images)

Doha - World champion high jumper Mutaz Barshim has been ruled out for the rest of the season because of an ankle injury, the Qatar Athletics Federation announced on Tuesday.

In a statement, the QAF said Barshim, who won gold at the 2017 World Athletics Championships in London, damaged ankle ligaments in Hungary earlier this month.

He injured himself while trying to set a new world record height of 2.46 metres, said the statement.

Barshim, 27, said, there would be no long-term damage.

"I am not worried and have got positive feedback from my doctors," he said in the statement.

He added that he wanted to make sure he was fully fit before returning to ensure he will be ready to defend his world champion crown next year in Doha.

"My biggest goal next year is, of course, the World Championships in my home country, Qatar," said Barshim.

The tournament will take place in September and October next year in the Qatari capital, the first time it has been held in the Middle East.

Barshim also won silver at the Rio Olympics.

Read more on:    athletics

 

Read News24’s Comments Policy

Live Video Streaming
Video Highlights
Sport Talk

Live scoring

 
 
Men
Women
Love 2 Meet
English Premiership flutter

Take Sport24's "expert" tips at your peril...

Featured

The 2018/19 Absa Premiership season is in full swing. Will Mamelodi Sundowns retain their title? Or can one of Kaizer Chiefs, Orlando Pirates, Wits, SuperSport United - or another team perhaps - snatch glory from the Brazilians? Be sure to visit Sport24 for all the latest news!

Latest blogs
Vote

How much of a runner are you?

Twitter Follow Sport24 on Twitter

Facebook "Like" Sport24's Facebook page

WIN Enter and win with Sport24!

BlackBerry Stay in the loop on your BlackBerry

RSS Feeds Sport news delivered really simply.

 
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.