South African Athletics

SAIDS declares SA athletes doping free

2016-07-08 16:06
Athletics (File)

Cape Town - South African Laboratory (SAIDS) has revealed that all Athletics South Africa (ASA) events this year have been declared doping free.

During the course of 2016, athletes were vigilantly tested for the use of illegal substances and the samples were sent to Doha, Qatar for thorough processing.

“We are happy that our efforts to rid of and also to deter athletes from cheating, is now bearing fruit. This is what every national federation strives for and it’s a major achievement for us so far.

“We can only thank our athletes and their coaches for choosing to compete on a fair level, allowing themselves to concentrate on honest preparations to improve performance and get better results each time.

“ASA encourages them to continue on this honest path as we together take South African athletics forward,” said Aleck Skhosana, the President of Athletics South Africa.

Skhosana also explained that this declaration also paves way for ASA to finalise outstanding competition prize money to deserving athletes.

“In recent months there has been much speculation among athletes regarding the long delay in payment of prize money won at ASA events.

“The reason for the delay was caused by the fact that South African Laboratory, where athletes’ samples were tested for the use of illegal substances, had at that time lost their WADA Accreditation. This meant the samples of athletes had to be sent to Doha, Qatar for testing.”

Now that SAIDS have now released many of the outstanding results, ASA has acted speedily and more than 70 percent of the athletes have already received their prize money. The remaining 30 percent will be paid shortly as soon as it is processed.

In most individual cases where payment has not been processed, the banking details were incorrect and ASA is in the process of addressing this with the affected athletes to establish their correct banking details.

Read more on:    athletics
NEXT ON SPORT24X

What To Read Next

 

Read News24’s Comments Policy

Live Video Streaming
Video Highlights
Sport Talk

Live scoring

 
 
Men
Women
Love 2 Meet
Sport24 on Twitter

Follow Sport24 news on Twitter

English Premiership flutter

Take Sport24's "expert" tips at your peril...

Featured

The 2017/18 Absa Premiership season is under way. Can Bidvest Wits defend their title? Will Soweto giants Kaizer Chiefs or Orlando Pirates emerge victorious? Or will the bookies' favourites, Mamelodi Sundowns, taste success for a record eighth time? Stay glued to Sport24 to find out!

Latest blogs
Vote

Patriotism aside, who do you feel deserved to win the 2017 Laureus Breakthrough of the Year award?

Twitter Follow Sport24 on Twitter

Facebook "Like" Sport24's Facebook page

WIN Enter and win with Sport24!

BlackBerry Stay in the loop on your BlackBerry

RSS Feeds Sport news delivered really simply.

 
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.