London - Jamaican sprint sensation Usain Bolt plans to bow out in glory after the 2017 World Championships in London, he said in a British newspaper interview published on Saturday.
The 28-year-old six-time Olympic champion had previously suggested he would retire after the 2016 Olympic Games in Rio de Janeiro, but now says he will continue until 2017, albeit only in the 100 metres.
"That was the initial plan (to retire in 2016)," he told the Daily Mail. "But my sponsor has asked me to go on for another year, to 2017 and London.
"But I'll be doing one event, the 100. I've already discussed it with my coach. I can concentrate on that, and on retiring on a winning note."
Bolt's main focus for 2015 will be the World Championships in Beijing on August 22-30.
He hopes to add to his collection of eight world titles and also wants to break the 100m world record of 9.58 seconds that he set at the 2009 worlds in Berlin.
"Well, it takes races," he said. "But if everything goes well this season... in my life anything is possible. If I can get myself in good shape, it should be wonderful this season.
"I live for competition. I thrive on competition. I live to compete against the best. It means a lot when you beat the best.
"I remember when I won in Beijing (at the 2008 Olympics), people were saying how Tyson (Gay) wasn't there. So for me the World Championship the following year, when everyone was there, that was good."