Motorsport

Citroen sack British rally driver after spate of crashes

2018-05-24 19:16
Dakar Rally (File)

Paris - French world rally championship team Citroen said Thursday they had sacked British racer Kris Meeke for reckless driving following a spate of crashes.

In a statement the team said that Meeke, 38, from Northern Ireland, veered off the road "too often" after taking risks that were not justified in sporting terms.

He and his Irish co-pilot Paul Nagle were dismissed with immediate effect.

Some of his accidents were "particularly violent and could have had serious consequences for the security of the team," Citroen Racing WRT added in the statement.

Team leader Pierre Budar said the decision had been taken as a preventative measure.

"The decision has not been taken lightly because it affects a driver and a co-pilot but it is largely motivated by security considerations which are part of my concerns as team leader," he said.

Meeke and Nagle, eighth in the current world rally championships, were involved in a spectacular crash in the recent Rally of Portugal but both emerged unscathed from the accident.

 

NEXT ON SPORT24X

What To Read Next

 

Read News24’s Comments Policy

Live Video Streaming
Video Highlights

 
 
Men
Women
Love 2 Meet
English Premiership flutter

Take Sport24's "expert" tips at your peril...

Featured

The 2018/19 Absa Premiership season is in full swing. Will Mamelodi Sundowns retain their title? Or can one of Kaizer Chiefs, Orlando Pirates, Wits, SuperSport United - or another team perhaps - snatch glory from the Brazilians? Be sure to visit Sport24 for all the latest news!

Latest blogs
Vote

Hypothetically, given the same cars to drive, who is the most talented current Formula One driver in your opinion?

Twitter Follow Sport24 on Twitter

Facebook "Like" Sport24's Facebook page

WIN Enter and win with Sport24!

BlackBerry Stay in the loop on your BlackBerry

RSS Feeds Sport news delivered really simply.

 
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.