Berlin - Two-time Formula One world champion Fernando Alonso has left hospital
following a crash during testing in Barcelona last weekend, his McLaren
team announced on Wednesday.
"We are pleased to confirm that
Fernando Alonso has now left hospital. He has returned to his family's
home in Spain for further rest and recuperation," McLaren said in a
The Woking-based team also confirmed that Alonso will
not drive in this week's final four-day pre-season test, which begins in
Barcelona on Thursday.
"As a result, he will sit out this week's final winter test, at which he was due to share driving duties with Jenson Button.
"Kevin Magnussen, McLaren-Honda's test and reserve driver, will replace him."
Alonso crashed into a wall after completing just 20 laps on Sunday and was airlifted to hospital under sedation.
33-year-old Spaniard suffered concussion but McLaren said scans on the
2005 and 2006 world champion were "completely normal."
blamed unusually strong winds for the crash and categorically denied
there had been any mechanical failure with their MP4-30 car.
Meanwhile, motorsport website autosport.com reported on Wednesday that the FIA was investigating the incident.
governing body doesn't automatically review incidents at test events,
but Alonso's unexpected prolonged stay in hospital has forced them to
The same report claimed the FIA will review CCTV footage of the crash with McLaren for a clearer insight into what happened.
safety regulations have already been introduced for the new season
following the serious accident suffered by Jules Bianchi at the Japanese
Grand Prix last year.
For 2015 a virtual safety car will be
deployed, obliging drivers to reduce their speed to that indicated on
their displays on their steering wheels when double waved yellow flags
are needed on any section of a circuit where competitors and officials
may be in danger, but the circumstances are not as such to warrant
deployment of the actual safety car.
Moreover, the Australian,
Malaysian, Chinese, Japanese and Russian Grands Prix will start an hour
earlier than in 2014 to ensure they finish well before dusk.
crash was just the latest setback McLaren have suffered in testing ahead
of the new season, which gets underway with the Australian Grand Prix
on March 15.
After eight days of testing, McLaren have completed
less than half the mileage of every other team on the grid and nearly
five times less than reigning champions Mercedes.