Los Angeles - Tiger Woods said on Friday he
had undergone a successful procedure to alleviate discomfort stemming from his
back surgery in September.
The former world number one said in a
statement on his website the procedure had been carried out by neurosurgeon
Charles Rich in Park City, Utah, on Wednesday.
"Tiger is doing well, and we expect
him to make a full recovery," Rich said in the statement.
Woods, who has previously said he expects
to return in early 2016, said he had not yet set a date for his eventual
"It's one of those things that had to
be done," he said. "I have an outstanding team of doctors, and I'll
be back as soon as I can."
However Woods said he would be on hand to
host the December 2-6 Hero World Challenge in the Bahamas which raises funds
for his charitable foundation.
"I look forward to being at my
event," Woods said. "Hero is a tremendous supporter of my foundation
and particularly our scholars."
Woods meanwhile vowed to return to golf
eventually, saying the support of well-wishers had motivated him during his
"My family and the fans' concern and
support have helped a lot," Tiger said. "I'll be back, and I'll be
ready to compete."
Woods struggled through a miserable 2015
campaign that included missed cuts at three straight major championships - the
US Open, British Open and PGA Championship.
He posted his worst rounds as a pro - an 82
at the Phoenix Open and an 85 at the Memorial, even taking a break from
competition early in the year to try to sort out his game and get going again
in his pursuit of Jack Nicklaus's record of 18 major titles.