Cricket

Zimbabwe set to sack Streak, Klusener

2018-03-30 18:58
Heath Streak (Gallo Images)

Harare - Heath Streak has been asked to step down as Zimbabwe coach or face dismissal after the team failed to qualify for the 2019 Cricket World Cup.

Zimbabwe, who hosted the qualification competition which ended last week, failed to secure two of the slots, which were taken by the West Indies and Afghanistan.

It will be the first time Zimbabwe will not be playing in the Cricket World Cup since 1983, a development that has raised alarm in the African country, with fear rife that the game will go downhill.

Streak learned of his fate through a letter from Zimbabwe Cricket managing director Faisal Haisnan, who said the former national captain must resign together with his entire staff, including batting coach Lance Klusener, the former South Africa all-rounder.

They were told to hand in their resignation by Friday afternoon.

"After which time the technical team can consider themselves dismissed and relieved of their duties with immediate effect," Haisnan, a former ICC finance chief, wrote.

Streak, who was appointed in October 2016 to qualify Zimbabwe, has refused to resign, daring the board to sack him.

Captain Graeme Cremer and head of selectors Tatenda Taibu are believed to be next in the firing line.

Experienced batsman and wicketkeeper Brendan Taylor, who returned to international cricket late last year following a stint in English County cricket, is being persuaded to take over the captaincy for a second spell.

Read more on:    zimbabwe  |  heath streak  |  lance klusener  |  cricket
NEXT ON SPORT24X

What To Read Next

 

Read News24’s Comments Policy

Live Video Streaming
Video Highlights
Sport Talk

 
 
Men
Women
Love 2 Meet
Sport24 on Twitter

Follow Sport24 news on Twitter

Featured

The 2018/19 Absa Premiership season is in full swing. Will Mamelodi Sundowns retain their title? Or can one of Kaizer Chiefs, Orlando Pirates, Wits, SuperSport United - or another team perhaps - snatch glory from the Brazilians? Be sure to visit Sport24 for all the latest news!

Latest blogs
Vote

The 12-month ban handed down to Steve Smith and David Warner and the 9-month sanction for Cameron Bancroft for their ball-tampering roles, is ...

Twitter Follow Sport24 on Twitter

Facebook "Like" Sport24's Facebook page

WIN Enter and win with Sport24!

BlackBerry Stay in the loop on your BlackBerry

RSS Feeds Sport news delivered really simply.

 
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.