St. John's - West Indies cricket chiefs said on Wednesday that they are edging closer to an agreement which would see them belatedly complete their 2014 tour of India which was controversially abandoned.
Dave Cameron, the president of the West Indies Cricket Board (WICB), confirmed that following discussions with his Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) counterpart Shashank Manohar, that the Caribbean side will host India in the Caribbean in 2016.
This agreement, however, is subject to the WICB and the West Indies Players Association (WIPA) "giving a joint commitment to complete, at a later date, the tour which prematurely ended in October 2014", said a WICB statement.
"Cricket remained the centrepiece of our discussion and we are happy to be at this juncture," said Cameron.
The West Indies walked out of their 2014 India tour after the fourth one-day international in Dharamsala due to a bitter dispute over player contracts.
They had been scheduled to play a further ODI, one Twenty20 game and three Tests.
In the aftermath of the tour being abandoned, India said they would pursue a claim for $42 million in compensation from the cash-strapped WICB.