Cricket

Starc, Hazlewood to miss SA ODI series

2016-09-02 07:17
Mitchell Starc (AFP)

Sydney - Pace pair Mitchell Starc and Josh Hazlewood will be rested for this month's one-day international series in South Africa, Cricket Australia said on Friday.

Starc and Hazlewood would be stood down to allow them time to refresh ahead of the Australian summer season, CA said.

"Mitchell and Josh have had big tours of Sri Lanka and have a heavy workload ahead of them with ten Tests to be played this (domestic) summer," chief selector Rod Marsh said.

"As such, it is important they are managed appropriately and we believe missing the tour of South Africa is the right time for them to take a break."

Marsh added that this would serve as a good opportunity for up-and-coming fast bowlers to push for selection.

Marsh said that with a number of bowlers returning from injury, it was important for the national team to continue to build up a battery of quality fast-bowlers.

Earlier this week Australian paceman Nathan Coulter-Nile was ruled out for an indefinite spell after returning home early from the Sri Lanka ODI series with a serious back injury.

CA said Hazlewood would return home immediately from the tour of Sri Lanka and Starc would remain with the side for the remaining ODI and two T20 Internationals against Sri Lanka.

The squad for the tour of South Africa will be named following the final ODI against Sri Lanka.

The tour consists of one ODI against Ireland and five against South Africa, with the first match to be played against Ireland on September 27.

NEXT ON SPORT24X

What To Read Next

 

Read News24’s Comments Policy

Live Video Streaming
Video Highlights
Sport Talk

 
 
Men
Women
Love 2 Meet
English Premiership flutter

Take Sport24's "expert" tips at your peril...

Featured

The 2017/18 Absa Premiership season is under way. Can Bidvest Wits defend their title? Will Soweto giants Kaizer Chiefs or Orlando Pirates emerge victorious? Or will the bookies' favourites, Mamelodi Sundowns, taste success for a record eighth time? Stay glued to Sport24 to find out!

Latest blogs
Vote

The 12-month ban handed down to Steve Smith and David Warner and the 9-month sanction for Cameron Bancroft for their ball-tampering roles, is ...

Twitter Follow Sport24 on Twitter

Facebook "Like" Sport24's Facebook page

WIN Enter and win with Sport24!

BlackBerry Stay in the loop on your BlackBerry

RSS Feeds Sport news delivered really simply.

 
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.