Cricket

Shakib asks for break from Tests

2017-09-11 09:05
Shakib Al Hasan (Getty)

Dhaka - Bangladesh's Shakib Al Hasan, the world's leading all-rounder, has requested a six-month break from Test cricket ahead of the upcoming tour of South Africa, the country's board said on Monday.

Bangladesh are likely to name their squad later Monday for the South Africa tour comprising two Tests, three one-day internationals and two Twenty20 games, starting on September 28.

"Shakib has handed a letter to the board, seeking a break from Test cricket," Bangladesh Cricket Board spokesperson  Jalal Yunus said. 

"He said he will be available for other formats during this period but he needed this break from Test cricket to refresh his body. 

"We haven't yet made any decision regarding his request. BCB president (Nazmul Hasan) will make the final decision." 

If the BCB accepts Shakib's request, he will also miss the two-Test series against Sri Lanka at home in December-January. 

Shakib starred in Bangladesh's maiden Test win over Australia last month, claiming 10 wickets and scoring 84 runs. 

The 30-year-old has played every Test for Bangladesh since missing two games against the West Indies in 2014 because of suspension. 

His request for the Test break comes amid concerns over player fatigue, as well as criticism that players are prioritising earning money over representing their countries. 

Shakib is a regular at franchise-based Twenty20 tournaments around the world, and earned $712 000 from four Twenty20 competitions in 2016, according to Bangladesh's Daily Star.

Read more on:    bangladesh  |  shakib al hasan  |  cricket

 

Read News24’s Comments Policy

Live Video Streaming

 
 
Men
Women
Love 2 Meet
Sport24 on Twitter

Follow Sport24 news on Twitter

Featured

The 2018/19 Absa Premiership season is in full swing. Will Mamelodi Sundowns retain their title? Or can one of Kaizer Chiefs, Orlando Pirates, Wits, SuperSport United - or another team perhaps - snatch glory from the Brazilians? Be sure to visit Sport24 for all the latest news!

Latest blogs
Vote

The 12-month ban handed down to Steve Smith and David Warner and the 9-month sanction for Cameron Bancroft for their ball-tampering roles, is ...

Twitter Follow Sport24 on Twitter

Facebook "Like" Sport24's Facebook page

WIN Enter and win with Sport24!

BlackBerry Stay in the loop on your BlackBerry

RSS Feeds Sport news delivered really simply.

 
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.