Cricket

India aims for women's IPL in 3 years

2018-05-15 10:47
IPL balloon (File)

New Delhi - India aims to launch a women's version of its hugely popular Indian Premier League (IPL) tournament in the next three years, a senior official said Tuesday.

As part of the build-up, top international women players will take part in a Twenty20 game at Mumbai's Wankhede Stadium next week.

"We are planning to get a women's IPL in place in two to three years," Board of Control for Cricket in India administrator Vinod Rai told AFP. 

No firm details of the new league have yet been revealed, but pressure for a women's IPL has been building since India reached the final of the women's World Cup in England last year.

England's Danni Wyatt, Australian all-rounder Ellyse Perry and New Zealand captain Suzie Bates are some of the names confirmed for the May 22 exhibition game.

Top Indians including national skipper Mithali Raj, Jhulan Goswami and Harmanpreet Kaur will compete in an Indian team under IPL rules in the exhibition.

"The match to be played between a BCCI XI and IPL XI will take place ahead of the first (men's IPL) playoff at the Wankhede Stadium," Rai said.

Also signed up are wicketkeeper-batter Alyssa Healy, Megan Schutt and Beth Mooney from  Australia, and Kiwi batter Sophie Devine, who holds the record for the fastest half-century in women's T20Is.

IPL chairperson Rajeev Shukla said: "Even as the IPL continues to roll like a well-oiled machine, over the last couple of weeks efforts were made to put in place a similar structure for women cricketers.

"We were in talks with several boards and I am pleased with the outcome."

Read more on:    ipl  |  cricket
NEXT ON SPORT24X

What To Read Next

 

Read News24’s Comments Policy

Live Video Streaming
Video Highlights
Sport Talk

 
 
Men
Women
Love 2 Meet
Sport24 on Twitter

Follow Sport24 news on Twitter

Featured

The 2017/18 Absa Premiership season has wrapped up. For all the season highlights - and lowlights - be sure to visit Sport24!

Latest blogs
Vote

The 12-month ban handed down to Steve Smith and David Warner and the 9-month sanction for Cameron Bancroft for their ball-tampering roles, is ...

Twitter Follow Sport24 on Twitter

Facebook "Like" Sport24's Facebook page

WIN Enter and win with Sport24!

BlackBerry Stay in the loop on your BlackBerry

RSS Feeds Sport news delivered really simply.

 
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.