Dhaka - Bangladesh will provide the highest level of
security for Australia's cricketers when they tour in August-September,
organisers said on Wednesday, after a spate of recent Islamist attacks.
"What is usually reserved for a visiting head of state
will be provided to them," Bangladesh Cricket Board (BCB) chief executive
Nizamuddin Chowdhury confirmed.
He made the comments as Cricket Australia's head of security
Sean Carroll visited Dhaka to oversee plans for the tour, during which
Australia are scheduled to play two Tests.
Australia have not played a Test in the country since Ricky
Ponting's team visited Dhaka in 2006, just six years after Bangladesh were
granted Test status.
Australia were scheduled to play two Tests in Bangladesh in
October 2015 but the tour was cancelled amid security fears after attacks by
Islamist extremists in the Muslim-majority nation.
Australia also refused to send their junior team to last
year's Under-19 World Cup in Dhaka.
Bangladesh successfully hosted the England cricket team last
year, drawing the Test series 1-1.
"We have guaranteed that the security, which was given
to England cricket team last year, similar arrangement will be made for the
Australian team," Chowdhury said.
"If there is any additional requirement needed, we are
ready to provide that."
Carroll visited Bangladesh in October during England's
month-long tour which came just months after an attack on a Dhaka cafe in which
22 people, mostly foreigners, were killed.
Bangladesh home minister and top security and police chiefs
briefed Carroll on the planned steps for the tour on Tuesday.
"We are looking forward to working with the Bangladesh
authorities and BCB to making sure there is very successful tour going ahead in
August," Carroll told reporters.
He said they were "satisfied" with Bangladesh's
security plans for England last year and were now working to ensure a
"rigorous security plan" for Australia.