Cape Town - Former England batsman Kevin Pietersen says the postponement of the T20 Global League is a "disaster" for South African sport.
News broke on Tuesday that South Africa's first ever T20 Global League, which was due to get underway in November, had been postponed.
The tournament is now only scheduled to get underway in November 2018.
READ: CSA explains T20 Global League postponement
Pietersen, who was the marquee international player for the Nelson Mandela Bay Stars, took to Twitter to express his shock at Cricket South Africa's decision.
The South African-born cricketer said he felt "sorry for all the youngsters" who were going to use the T20 Global League as valuable experience.
"I feel so sorry for all the youngsters who were going to learn & earn out of this comp! DISASTER for SA sport!" Pietersen wrote.
"The $ (dollars) goes a long way in SA when converted. To think of the number of SA youngsters, players about to retire & coaches missing out this season is simply not good enough!"
The tournament was rocked two weeks ago when CSA and its CEO, Haroon Lorgat, parted ways. Lorgat had been considered the mastermind of the T20 Global League product.
The South African Cricketers' Association (SACA) said that they will be "seeking clarity" from Cricket South Africa on the further implications that comes with the postponement.