Cape Town - It was a story that caused mayhem in the sporting community, but Cricket South Africa (CSA) convenor of selectors Linda Zondi says it is time to "move on" from the Aaron Phangiso debacle.
Phangiso, who was reported to have been drunk and disorderly on a flight to Dubai from India late last year, has been included in the Proteas' 15-man squad for next month's World Twenty20.
The incident caused an outcry from South Africa's cricketing community, but Zondi says the time has now come to put the issue to bed.
"For us as selectors it is important to make sure that we detach
ourselves from being emotional. We’re all human beings, we all make mistakes," he told Sport24 on Thursday.
"What Phangiso has been through was a mistake and he’ll learn from that.
"The key is we need to make sure that his mental stability is right for him to contribute to the team.
"We have to move on ... Aaron has the support of the whole management team. We’ve only got one goal in mind and that is to make sure that the team is balanced, pulls together and we all have to support the guys."
Phangiso was selected ahead of fellow-Lions spinner Eddie Leie, and will be one of two specialist spinners in India alongside Imran Tahir.
"It’s important to look at the skill and what the player
can bring to the team and we feel that we have variation with the left-arm
spinner together with Imran Tahir and JP Duminy as a back-up. It gives us that
balance," said Zondi.
Phangiso has played nine T20Is for the Proteas, taking 13 wickets at 8.11 runs per over.