Proteas

T20 Global League flop cost CSA R180m

2017-12-22 10:38
Chris Nenzani (Gallo Images)

Johannesburg - Cricket South Africa (CSA) said on Thursday that it remained in a healthy position despite the costly postponement of the planned T20 Global League.

In a statement following a board meeting, CSA president Chris Nenzani said lessons had been learned from the failed venture, which led to the resignation of former chief executive Haroon Lorgat.

Nenzani said an internal investigation had highlighted "pervasive governance lapses around the T20GL".

In a departure from previous statements, Thursday's announcement wavered on a commitment to stage the league in 2018.

"The Board has tasked management to look at the various T20 league financial models around the world and to present a viable financial model before a final decision on the future of the T20GL can be taken."

Nenzani said a complete financial reconciliation had revealed "no irregularities or financial mismanagement" and that CSA accepted responsibility for losses incurred.

No figures were revealed, but media reports have estimated that CSA spent around R100 million on setting up the league, as well as having to spend about R80 million to compensate contracted players.

Nenzani said that CSA remained financially sound, despite the losses, due to tight financial controls and reserves built up over the years. In its annual report issued in September, CSA said it had R500 million in cash resources.

The T20 Global League was postponed in October, less than a month before it was due to start, because there was no television deal or title sponsor.

Read more on:    csa  |  t20 global league  |  chris nenzani  |  cricket
NEXT ON SPORT24X

What To Read Next

 

Read News24’s Comments Policy

Live Video Streaming
Video Highlights
Sport Talk

Fixtures
Thursday, 12 July 2018
Sri Lanka v South Africa, Galle International Stadium 06:30
Friday, 20 July 2018
Sri Lanka v South Africa, Colombo 06:30
Sunday, 29 July 2018
Sri Lanka v South Africa, Rangiri Dambulla International Stadium 06:15
Previous Results

Date Match Result
Vote

The 12-month ban handed down to Steve Smith and David Warner and the 9-month sanction for Cameron Bancroft for their ball-tampering roles, is ...

 
 
Men
Women
Love 2 Meet
Sport24 on Twitter

Follow Sport24 news on Twitter

Featured

The 2017/18 Absa Premiership season is under way. Can Bidvest Wits defend their title? Will Soweto giants Kaizer Chiefs or Orlando Pirates emerge victorious? Or will the bookies' favourites, Mamelodi Sundowns, taste success for a record eighth time? Stay glued to Sport24 to find out!

Latest blogs
 

Twitter Follow Sport24 on Twitter

Facebook "Like" Sport24's Facebook page

WIN Enter and win with Sport24!

BlackBerry Stay in the loop on your BlackBerry

RSS Feeds Sport news delivered really simply.

 
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.