Cape Town - Fast bowler Morne Morkel has made it clear on numerous occasions that he would like to be apart of the Proteas 2019 World Cup plans.
The 33-year-old, who suffered a side-strain injury in the first Test against Bangladesh, is likely to be out of action for about six weeks - missing the three-match ODI series against the Tigers.
After the Proteas thrashed Bangladesh inside three days in the second Test in Bloemfontein, Proteas coach Ottis Gibson addressed the media and acknowledged that he has had talks with Morkel.
"I absolutely didn't tell him anything about the World Cup because it is so far away," Gibson told reporters on Sunday.
"I encouraged him to enjoy his cricket, which he was doing last week before he got injured."
Morkel has acknowledged on a few occasions that his time with the Proteas is drawing to a close.
Prior to the Bangladesh Test series, he has even reportedly admitted that he will consider taking a Kolpak deal if new Proteas head coach did not select the lanky fast bowler.
"... I can't afford to sit on the sidelines for the next two years and not play cricket," Morkel was quoted as saying last month by CricBuzz website.
"It is all about timing and communication. I need to know what their thinking is for the next two years."
When questioned on Morkel's other alternatives, Gibson said "that's not my understanding."
Despite the unknown over Morkel's future, Gibson has already started planning for the World Cup in England.
Morkel has played in 79 Tests‚ 112 ODIs and 44 T20s for the Proteas to date.