Cricket

Narine CWC blow for Windies

2015-01-27 19:22
Sunil Narine (Gallo Images)

St. John's, Antigua and Barbuda - Highly-rated off-spinner Sunil Narine on Tuesday pulled out of the West Indies Cricket World Cup squad, saying he needed more time to work on his bowling action.

The 26-year-old has undergone "intense remedial work" after being suspended from last year's Champions League Twenty20 for an illegal action, the West Indies Cricket Board (WICB) said in a statement.

Narine was ruled to have exceeded the the 15-degree flexion allowance, the Board explained.

But Narine said he still needed time before taking to the World Cup stage.

"Whilst I am very happy with the progress made to date with my action.....I am withdrawing from the World Cup," he said.

"Going into the World Cup is a little too much too soon and, after consulting the WICB, for both West Indies and my sake we have decided to delay my return to international cricket until I am 100% confident in all that I do," he added.

The Board said they backed Narine's decision to withdraw from the World Cup where the West Indies open on February 16 against Ireland before going on to face Pool B rivals, defending champions India, South Africa, Pakistan, Zimbabwe and the United Arab Emirates.

"Narine has taken a positive approach to his remedial work, remains in an optimistic frame of mind and looks forward to returning to international cricket at the earliest opportunity," the WICB statement read.

It added: "The WICB supports Narine's decision to withdraw from the CWC squad as to risk his exposure to the intensity of the Cricket World Cup would be both unfair to him and the West Indies squad. A replacement will be named shortly."

Read more on:    sunil narine  |  cricket

 

Read News24’s Comments Policy

24.com publishes all comments posted on articles provided that they adhere to our Comments Policy. Should you wish to report a comment for editorial review, please do so by clicking the 'Report Comment' button to the right of each comment.

Comment on this story
1 comment
Comments have been closed for this article.
Live Video Streaming
Video Highlights

 
 
Men
Women
Love 2 Meet
Sport24 on Twitter

Follow Sport24 news on Twitter

Featured

The 2018/19 Absa Premiership season is in full swing. Will Mamelodi Sundowns retain their title? Or can one of Kaizer Chiefs, Orlando Pirates, Wits, SuperSport United - or another team perhaps - snatch glory from the Brazilians? Be sure to visit Sport24 for all the latest news!

Latest blogs
Vote

The 12-month ban handed down to Steve Smith and David Warner and the 9-month sanction for Cameron Bancroft for their ball-tampering roles, is ...

Twitter Follow Sport24 on Twitter

Facebook "Like" Sport24's Facebook page

WIN Enter and win with Sport24!

BlackBerry Stay in the loop on your BlackBerry

RSS Feeds Sport news delivered really simply.

 
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.