London - Former England coach Peter Moores has said his second spell in
charge of the national side was blighted by a misguided perception that he was
obsessed with statistics.
Moores was sacked in May, following a drawn Test series away to the West
Indies came hot on the heels of a wretched World Cup where England suffered a
first round exit.
His second spell in charge lasted just over a year, with the ECB having
previously sacked Moores six years earlier.
After England's World Cup exit was sealed with a defeat by Bangladesh,
Moores gave an interview to former England captain Nasser Hussain on Sky Sports
when he said: "We'll have to analyse the game data a bit later."
However, Moores also told Hussain that his England set-up was not numbers
Meanwhile assistant coach Paul Farbrace - now in caretaker charge of England
before Australian Trevor Bayliss takes over - said he had used far more
statistics when coaching Sri Lanka to the 2014 World Twenty20 title.
Moores has maintained a dignified silence since his latest sacking by
England but went public Tuesday to voice his "frustration" at the way
he had been portrayed.
"I have to accept my time as England coach has gone," Moores told
the ESPNcricinfo website.
"But I am frustrated. The portrayal of me as a coach in the media is
He added: "We moved away from stats and 'data.' Coaching doesn't work
like that at all...It's not a numbers game.
"We kept it simple. We tried to give the players responsibility to lead
Moores, who led Sussex and Lancashire to the County Championship either side
of his first spell as England coach, won plaudits for giving the likes of James
Anderson, Stuart Broad, Graeme Swann and Matt Prior a chance to shine at
international level during his initial period in charge of the national side.
Meanwhile his second spell saw Joe Root, Gary Ballance, Moeen Ali and Jos
Buttler introduced into the England set-up.
When Moores was sacked in May, a side featuring several inexperienced
players had won four and lost one of their last six Tests, not a bad run given
he had inherited an England team thrashed 5-0 in the 2013/14 Ashes.
"In Test terms, we felt we had turned a corner," added Moores.
"Young players were developing fast. I'm also confident in my ability
to evolve teams to become very good teams. And, given time, I've always gone on
to be successful.
"The frustration is not being able to carry something through," he
added with England set to face Australia in the Ashes next month.
Despite twice being dismissed by the ECB, former Sussex wicket-keeper Moores
said he would be prepared to work with young players at the National Cricket
Performance Centre in Loughborough, central England.
"Yes, I'd work for the ECB again," he said. "A role at
Loughborough would be exciting."